when did MTD join in?

/ when did MTD join in? #1  

FairportCub

I have a Cub 1863 probably built around 1992ish. I see all these "discussions" about the MTD Cubs versus "real" cubs. I was just curious if mine is MTD built. It is (knock on wood) one solid tractor. I haven't done anything to it since new. I have to replace the original PTO clutch this spring, once the snow stops. But, all in all it's been awesome.

/ when did MTD join in? #3  
I think those of us with 1863's/1864's came out of it ok, though. My 1864, built in 1995, seems to be of the same, tough design and build quality of the IH Cubs.

I know mine is built like a tank. Nothing like what I see peddled as a Garden Tractor today at the big-box stores.

My Gas Grille has thicker steel than is in some of those things.

-Larry

/ when did MTD join in? #4  
TractorLarry said:
I think those of us with 1863's/1864's came out of it ok, though. My 1864, built in 1995, seems to be of the same, tough design and build quality of the IH Cubs.

I know mine is built like a tank. Nothing like what I see peddled as a Garden Tractor today at the big-box stores.

My Gas Grille has thicker steel than is in some of those things.

-Larry

Have you seen the 3000 series yet at the dealers? compares favorably to the 1863/1864 of old

/ when did MTD join in? #5  
That's why I said Box Stores :)

-Larry

ducati996 said:
Have you seen the 3000 series yet at the dealers? compares favorably to the 1863/1864 of old

/ when did MTD join in? #6  
TractorLarry said:
That's why I said Box Stores :)

-Larry
Box stores do not sell the garden tractors!

/ when did MTD join in? #7  
7254t said:
Box stores do not sell the garden tractors!

That is true - so there we have it :D

/ when did MTD join in? #8  
If memory serves me correct International sold Cub Cadet to MTD way back in May or June 1981. MTD carried on most of the International Harvester designs for many years after the takeover though, virtually identical tractors with the build tag saying, "Cub Cadet Corporation, Cleveland, OH" instead of International Harvester Corporation. It wasn't till the late 1990's that MTD started building the Cub Cadet GT's with ground up designs of their own.

-Fordlords-

/ when did MTD join in? #9  
Question. Is a box store that same as a dealer. I got a LT 1046 from a Cub dealer, not HomeDepot or box store.

Would they both not be the same?.

/ when did MTD join in? #10  
CitrusNorth said:
Question. Is a box store that same as a dealer. I got a LT 1046 from a Cub dealer, not HomeDepot or box store.

Would they both not be the same?.

Box store is a box store - a dealer is a dealer (who can service what they sell). Box stores dont carry the complete line - the higher end units are through the dealers