Cub Cadet i1046

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #1  

MowingGirl

I wanted to share my bad experience with the i1046. Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanical expert so please forgive my very un-technical descriptions. lol We purchased an i1046 from our local Home Depot to replace my (still running, albeit roughly) 16 year old JD STX38. I thought the zero turn capability would be nice and still be able to hook up a utility cart, pull a tarp with leaves in the fall, etc. Upon delivery, there were two problems. The transmission belt was not turning smoothly thus was making a clunking noise and the LED hour meter was not working. After calling the Cub 'support' number and being told that I was to pay a local dealer to come and pick it up and fix it, I had heard enough! This machine did not even have ONE hour on it. I told the 'kid' on the phone that I was not going to do that and that I would just return it. His response was 'that's fine then'. So I called Home Depot and they picked it up the next day and refunded my money entirely.

I then went to my local John Deere dealer and bought an X300. The quality is unmatched and I am totally satisfied with it. It rides like a dream is much quieter and, even though it is 17 horse power compared to the Cub's 20, it is faster. Although it is not zero turn, it is very tight and is easy to maneuver.

I don't know why I didn't stick with JD in the first place. Lesson learned. I wish the Cub would have worked out, but I couldn't spend that kind of money and not have it work straight off of the truck. Geez.

Now if only the grass would grow faster so I can mow again!

MowingGirl

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #2  
So sorry for your bad luck! I do find it interesting that you bought your new John Deere from the dealer and you bought the Cub Cadet from Home Depot. I think if you bought the Cub from a dealer the outcome might have been different. They know the machines and how to set them up properly and will fix any problems.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet i1046 #3  
Typical mass retail experience if there is a problem. Most problems from the mass retailers are due to set-up or more accurately lack of set-up.
My folks have an i1046 and is a nice little machine. Came from a local dealer and it works well and gives absolutely nothing away to John Deere and is actually a superior machine. Unfortunately you did not give your local friendly Cub dealer a chance like you did Deere.
I would just hope you would not take the lack of proper set up on Home Depot's part out on the Cub product.

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #4  
Like I've said before, the box stores are a nice place to LOOK at new lawn tractors. Just don't buy one there. You just can't use the Wal-Mart philosophy when buying a lawn tractor and expect good results. The JD X304 is a very good lawn tractor, congratulations on your purchase, and your decision to choose a reputable dealer for your tractor.
-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #5  
MowinGirl, what you experienced is a sales/setup/support problem, not a Cub Cadet problem. Given proper setup and support, you would have had no problem. Lesson learned. That cub is the same class machine as your X304. BTW, given those 2 choices, I would have went with a JD X series as well.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet i1046
I would have liked to have gone to a local dealer but he does not carry this model, only regular zero turns.

I don't blame Cub but what a shame that big boxes can't get it right.

One other thing I like about the Deere compared to the Cub is that it 'fits' me better. I can reach the pedals easier and there is more room between the steering wheel and the seat, and I am not a big person, but I was having to move the Cub seat to get on and off.

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully, this will save someone some trouble and they'll think twice about a big box and head straight to a dealer. :)

MowingGirl

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #7  
MowinGirl just curious why the local Cub dealer doesn't carry the i1046?

/ Cub Cadet i1046
He said that the main reason is that he makes his money on regular zero turn models. He also said that he was a little leery of the new i1046 and was not at all surprised when I told him of the problems with it. (I called him to get his opinion on having problems with one straight off of the truck. He is very nice and helpful and was very honest.) I doubt after that call to him that he'll ever bring one in.

MowingGirl

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #9  
Superclyde007 said:
Typical mass retail experience if there is a problem. Most problems from the mass retailers are due to set-up or more accurately lack of set-up.
My folks have an i1046 and is a nice little machine. Came from a local dealer and it works well and gives absolutely nothing away to John Deere and is actually a superior machine. Unfortunately you did not give your local friendly Cub dealer a chance like you did Deere.
I would just hope you would not take the lack of proper set up on Home Depot's part out on the Cub product.
Could have just as easly been the same thing with a JD from LOWES as it was with the CC from Home Depot. ;)

/ Cub Cadet i1046 #10  
MowingGirl said:
1*I wanted to share my bad experience with the i1046. Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanical expert so please forgive my very un-technical descriptions.
2*We purchased an i1046 from our local Home Depot to replace my (still running, albeit roughly) 16 year old JD STX38.
3*I then went to my local John Deere dealer and bought an X300.
4*I don't know why I didn't stick with JD in the first place.
MowingGirl

1*Your bad experence was not with tractor brand but with Box Store VS Dealer.
2*Going to a Box store is where you went wrong here.
3* This is what you should have done with the CC too.
4*And I don't know why you ever went to a box store to get a CC either.