Deck Handling

/ Deck Handling #1  

Vernonator

Bronze Member
Tractor
'04 Cub Cadet GT 3235
All, I have a GT3235 w/54" deck. Now I do LOVE this tractor, it is built like a tank and really get the job done. However the one thing I HATE about it is working on the deck.

This thing weighs around 350lbs and is a beast to take on and off. Then to stand it up to clean/change blades/etc is taking your life (and back) into your hands.

I need to remove my mulch plug (grass is just too thick for it) and swap blades this weekend and am DREADING it...

How do those with large decks manage them during maintenance?

Help my Obi-Wan you're my only hope!!!! :)

/ Deck Handling #2  
At my old age, one of the best things I purchased was a folding engine hoist, it lifts the things I can't
best money I've spent in a long time, I bought mine at Sams club about 8 years ago and I'ts never seen an engine :D
Jim

/ Deck Handling #3  
I bought an electric ceiling hoist from Harbor Freight for $100. It's supported by a 2" pipe crossing four rafters. It has a 880 LB capacity. I have a couple of 60" decks, it handles them fine.

Sometimes I'll just hook to the front of the tractor with the hoist, raise it a couple of feet, throw a secondary safety chain around it. and cleah the deck that way.

Those days I'm in a hurry and think about skipping the second chain, I remind myself how slow time passes in the Emergency room and I'm brought back to my senses.

It was $100 well spent.

Curt

/ Deck Handling #4  
Used to have a 3204 with the same deck. I feel your pain. Actually, with a bit of planning you can minimize some of the problems.

Be sure to take out the pins on the back deck castor wheels and manually turn the wheels in the direction of travel BEFORE you try to pull the deck out from under the tractor. For some reason my rear wheels would not turn themselves in the direction of travel.

Raise and tie up the power steering hoses to keep them out of the way.

Roll your deck so that the back of the deck is up against a wall. Turn the rear castors so that they are perpendicular to the wall ( minimizes the deck wanting to roll towards you during the next step).

Raise the deck from the front and lean it against the wall, acturally not to heavy if you are only lifting one side. It helps if you can tie the deck to the wall or a rafter to be sure it will not fall over onto you. VERY IMPORTANT!

Hope this helps.

Alan

/ Deck Handling #5  
I have a 48" deck and use a 2x4 to prop it on it's side when I get it up. It's not as heavy as the 54" deck, but I'll be thinking about that enigine hoist.

Thought about trying to pull it up with a come-a-long attached to one of the garage rafters....

/ Deck Handling #6  
My 60" mower deck weighs between 250-300lbs. I bought the least expensive cable hoist from TSC. I think it was around $20.00, and it lifts like 500lbs. if not more. I put a piece of 6' 4x4 post across my garage rafters. I wrap a piece of 6' chain around the post, then let it hang down. I made sure the chain is big enough to handle the mower deck weight also.

I then attach the cable hoist to the chain and lift the mower deck up in the air so that it's almost in the vertical position. I place two stacked cinder blocks under the mower deck in case something malfunctions with either the cable hoist, chain and 4x4 post. Once the mower deck is in the vertical position I can clean the deck and remove the blades to sharpen.

/ Deck Handling #7  
During the cutting season, I don't take my deck off for routine maintenance, like blade sharpening etc.. I raise the deck up all the way, and jack the tractor up with a floor jack as far as the jack will go and jack stand it front and rear. That gives me enough room underneath to remove blades (with an impact gun). It takes me only a couple minutes to get it on the jackstands, and saves me from manhandling the deck untill the fall.

/ Deck Handling #8  
considering what I went thru when i removed mine, I think I'll try the same :)

-larry

Ifixcars said:
During the cutting season, I don't take my deck off for routine maintenance, like blade sharpening etc.. I raise the deck up all the way, and jack the tractor up with a floor jack as far as the jack will go and jack stand it front and rear. That gives me enough room underneath to remove blades (with an impact gun). It takes me only a couple minutes to get it on the jackstands, and saves me from manhandling the deck untill the fall.

/ Deck Handling
I did the Engine Hoist thing...got one at Northern Tool for $140 with an Engine Leveler and it worked like a charm.....pulled the deck (used a jack to give me a bit more room to slide it out) hooked the chains to the back roller axle and viola it was hoisted and ready to clean in a matter of minutes. I think I am going to get a set of jack stands to use for routine cleaning/blade changes. Seems that is much easier than removing the deck completely.....