Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member

Default Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin?

I have a Cub Super LT1550. It has the Kohler Courage 25HP V-Twin with a spin-on oil filter.

Has anyone found any oil filters on the market that match the OEM Cub Cadet oil filter that's on the engine from the factory? To me it looks like a standard automotive oil filter from something like a Chevy Cavalier (Delco part PF47).

The price of the Cub Cadet branded filter is insane. I'm sure there's nothing special about the filter and it's probably an existing automotive filter that Kohler took advantage of. Anyone know the alternate part number if there is one?....and the brand?

Gold Member

Default Re: Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin?

I may have answered my own question by doing a search. I found this on the web. Let me know if it's correct (if you know)...

I saw someone saying in another post regarding the SLT 1550 with the Kohler 25HP V-Twin that the Wix filter is a 51348. So I searched for the cross reference and saw this on a motorcycle forum. Can you tell me if this is correct info?

These Oil Filters
    have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
    8 psi by-pass valve,
    anti-drain back valve.

Recommended filters in blue. Available filters include
    Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
    Mobil1 M1-102
    Bosch 3330
    AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
    Baldwin B1413
    Fram PH6022, PH6065A
    Hastings LF576
    NAPA 1348
    Purolator ML16822
    WIX 51348

Gold Member

Interesting. I just called O'Reillys Auto parts and they checked the computer and said...

Kohler 22, 25 and 27HP V-Twin engines use Wix 51056 (which they do sell).

I guess I'll go with what they say.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

Quote Originally Posted by pz31g22
    Interesting. I just called O'Reillys Auto parts and they checked the computer and said...

Kohler 22, 25 and 27HP V-Twin engines use Wix 51056 (which they do sell).

I guess I'll go with what they say.
    Pretty sure I'm using the 1056 NAPA filter on my 20hp. Kohler (2544). The hydraulic filter is a 1040, I recall.

Gold Member

I checked Wix's web site before I bought the 51056 to be sure. They say that's the correct filter. When I got home, I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me...assuming it does as good of a job or better. Chances are, I'll never notice any difference. I've never once in my life had an engine problem related to the brand of oil or filter I use (I sometimes alternate depending on what's easily available, but I try to get Purolator as far as the filter goes).

Quote Originally Posted by pz31g22
    I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me
    That's ok, kohler has 2 oil filters a short and a longer one,like the one that came with your new Cub.I like to use the longer filter if they have it in that day.But i have never heard of much of a down side wiyh the shorter filter.

CC 04 GT3235
    CC 07 GT1554
    Snapper LT 1999

Tractor
    '05 Cub Cadet GT2544

Post Re: Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin?

I thought I saw the longer filter in TSC the other day myself. I don't remember the price, but for something you only change about every 100hrs why be picky? I'll use the Kohler filter for piece of mind. IMHO
    '05 GT2544 - Custom FEL / Brushgaurd

i change every 25 hours.i also only use kohler.

Quote Originally Posted by pz31g22 View Post
    I checked Wix's web site before I bought the 51056 to be sure. They say that's the correct filter. When I got home, I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me...assuming it does as good of a job or better. Chances are, I'll never notice any difference. I've never once in my life had an engine problem related to the brand of oil or filter I use (I sometimes alternate depending on what's easily available, but I try to get Purolator as far as the filter goes).
    Everything I've read on the net says that the WIX filter that you need is the 51348.

The one I'm having problems with is the Purolator air filter that cross references to the Kohler 32 083 03-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast