Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #11  
I'm with you. I've NEVER heard of a hydro pump that runs on anything heavier than a 20w-50 motor oil! I think the older IH cubs had sauer-sunstrand/danforth pumps, the MTD cubs have peerless or hydro-gear as far as I know. Only way I know of to post an email is either cut/paste it into your post, or post it as a .pdf as you would a picture. Hopefully some other goo-roo's will chime in!
G/luck
Joel

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #12  
Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but:
Most all hydraulic systems (this is what a hydrostatic transmssion is) use relativley low viscosity fluid (even the red hydraulic fluid in aircraft is low viscosity) I have a powershift 3020 Deere farm tractor and the 'Hygard' fluid in it is low viscosity. Now if "compatibility" (oil does not eat gaskets) is not a problem, ANY hydraulic fluid can be used in the CC hydrostatic tranny. Most manufacturers say only to use their fluids for sales purposes. But most of the time, any fluid will work (there are cases when theirs is best.) For example, if I buy a CC (which I very well might) I will look into using the Deere Hygard oil in it sine I have a bunch of it. Now I would do a complete drain of the CC stuff and replace it if I do this because sometimes 'mixing' different fluids, while generally doing no harm to the metals, will produce some sludge in the system. I have also seen replacement hydraulic fluids in 5 gallon buckets in auto parts stores (autozone) for much less than what manufacturers charge. I don't know what the Warranty on the CC's says with regard to fluid use, but other fluids should actually work fine.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but:
Most all hydraulic systems (this is what a hydrostatic transmssion is) use relativley low viscosity fluid (even the red hydraulic fluid in aircraft is low viscosity))</font>

Actually, all the newer hydrostatic LT/GT transaxles I know of use motor oil in the 10w-30 to 20w-50 range (peerless, tufftorq and hydro-gear). Hydraulic fluid is typcially a 20wt oil, dyed to whatever color the manufacturer wants, with hyd specific additives.
G/luck
Joel

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #14  
This might be of interest. The hydro-gear service manual for the BDP-10/21L put out by Husqvarna page 11 says, "Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating of 55 SUS at 210 deg F maximum operating temperature and an API classification of SH/CD is allowed". Since I use Castrol SYNTEC, 10w30 in my engine, I looked up the SUS and API specs and found every weight through 20w50 to meet all. This information can be found on the Castrol web sight. Jerry

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #15  
I did some research,the transaxle is made by cub, the pump is made by hydro gear., I had a problem my 2180 free wheeling on steep hills. replaced a valve,helped alittle, and was getting air in hydro.So i tried a different filter ,I now use only john deere transmission filter part#am39653c,the free wheeling stoped and now the cub can even stop on steep hill on the dime!I might try gl-5 75w90 syn gear oil in the transmission. which alot of the older tractor used,I found out you can put a sae weight on a transmission oil,but the norm is not rated as such. but likeI said before I e-maid shell with that code and they said if you where going to put a weight on that code it would be 80w or gear oil right! and no harm to run gear oil throught hydro pump!older tractor did it! even now when it is like 90 deg out side and I run the **** out of my 2180 everyday cutting grass for business green Quality lawn service

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #16  
I dunno GQ. I'm not saying it wont work, but I've never seen a hydraulic or hydrostatic pump that will pump an 80 or 90wt gear lube. It's fine for the diffs and gear cases, but I'm not sure about the pump. I'm thinking a small hydrostat will groan like a sunofagun and lift the internal PRV on 80/90wt.
G/luck
Joel

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #17  
GC, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't put gear lube in a hydrostatic pump. Its way too thick. Use only what is recommended if in fact you even have to change the fluid. You replace a filter, you're only losing about a quart, there isn't any need to change the whole thing. The fluid is synthetic and isn't breaking down, or getting contaminated with hydrocarbons as in an ICE. You've got your business to look out for too, so I'd go the safe route. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #18  
We need Gamble to confirm, he'll set us straight. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #19  
NO way would I do that! I'm happy with the 20w 50 syn that i have in there now! and the john deere filter, buy the way part no# jd am-39653c amazing filter and great find! still the??? remains about shell code 53058 it would be a 80 wt,is the answer that I got,and also e-mailed a reply to shell about what it is used for?

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #20  
OK not Happy but to state the sad fact,I got e-mail from shell,(from GregoryRaley@ shell .com("UNfortunately, There is no alternate prouduct That I'm aware of.")I give up!looking,but did find on mobil1 syn atf oil,That it did meet and past the sun-strand piston pump test! if it is anything close to the hydro gear piston pump,don't know but a lot of cubs used the sunstrand piston pump!any info on how hydro gear pumps are different from sunstrand?