Tractor
    '06 SLT1554

Default Synthetic oil

After the initial break in period of 10 hrs, is there any reason I can't use synthetic oil in my '06 SLT1554?

Ed LeBlanc

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Toro 2000 Series Z Master

Default Re: Synthetic oil

That should be fine. I bought a generator last year that came shipped with Mobil 1. I've always heard to break them in on dyno oil... but it seems more and more engines are being sold with synthetic.

Tractor
    JD 2320

I waited until 100 hours before I put synthetic in my diesel.

Tractor
    '06 SLT1554

Yea, I should probably let the rings seat a little more than just ten hours. Thanks to all for the replies.

Ed LeBlanc [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JJT
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Modern engines don't need a break in period. Many high end vehicles are coming straight from the factory filled with synthetic.

Tractor
    '06 SLT1554

If these engines don't need a break in period, why is everyone, dealer included, recommending changing oil and filter at 10 hrs? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Ed LeBlanc

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If these engines don't need a break in period, why is everyone, dealer included, recommending changing oil and filter at 10 hrs? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Ed LeBlanc )</font>

So you go to the dealer to buy 2qts of oil and a filter! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Nahh... it's a good idea to get the break-in particles out of there. Look at the "break-in" oil on a brand new small air cooled engine w/ out a filter. It's full of glitter [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

G/luck
    Joel

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

I would definitely do a 10 Hr break in oil change on a new engine, even one with a filter. I changed out the oil in my new engine at 7 hrs, and even with a large filter when I put some of the drained oil into a clean container, it did not appear to be as clean as I would have thought. It's just a good idea.

Synthetic or not with a new engine should not matter, but synthetic oil should NOT be used to extend change intervals. (Take this from my 10 yrs experience in the trucking industry.) I do not recommend using synthetic oil in the older engines, as it is more leak prone than regular dinosaur oil, and can make small leaks big, and start new ones.

-fordlords-

Tractor
    '06 SLT1554

Thanks guys, all info is helpful!!

Ed LeBlanc [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Member

Some of the high performance cars like the Corvette, for example, come with synthetic oil and that is the only oil recommended to use.

Bob B.