Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

Default Re: What should I Choose?

To pay more than whats listed on the CC website would be rediculous. More important than that IMHO is to have a good local dealership for parts and service. If your JD guys are the best in town, go with them.

Joel

At my dealer, I saw a CC 2554 that was regularly priced at $4300, but marked down as a 'sale price' to $4000. (the MSRP).

You could probably get it at $4000, especially if you print out the MSRP from CC's web page and showed it to the dealer.

I too was thinking about a JD X340, but am a tad nervous about a 1st year model. They also had a GT245 for $5000. So I haven't decided on one yet.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Tractor
    John Deere GT262 1998

Well, was away on a short trip to take my daughter back to college, and I decided that I could not afford the $4500-5000 to buy a new JD or Cub. Upon arrrival tonight I saw and ad for a JD GT262, 1998, for $1400, advertised as well-maintained. I called and went to check this out tonight. This fellow knows engines, changes oil every 6-8 mows (~1 acre), services it every years in Nov, gave me plenty of tips on maintenance, and the machine, a 17 HP Kohler with 48" deck, was immaculate, new blades, new oil, very clean engine and deck. It drives and cuts well, is a standard, in great shape, and his lot is smaller but just as hilly as mine. This may be the solution to my search. Does this sound like a good deal? Thanks for any input.

Tractor
    John Deere GT262 1998

Just to close the loop, and to thank al of you who helped. With a good JD dealer in area but a suspicious Cub dealer, and the sudden availability of a very well-maintained JD GT262 for $1400, I went for the 262. It has a 48" deck. It did a nice job when I used it to make the first mowing of the year yesterday. My son had his intro to lawn mowers and standard transmissions, and will be a good learning experience for him as well. I still have some concerns about how it will ahndle the steepest slopes, but I think I can mow those in a different direction and avoid that problem. Thank you to all who gave input. I am indebted to you, those on this thread and the many others that I read, as I became a much better-educated consumer, and eventually found the machine I needed at the price I could afford, with much more confidence in the purchase.
    Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12