I want a Clean Mower Deck!

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #1  

john_bud

Have you ever thought that, "I want a clean mower deck!", but like me you're too busy (or really like me and too lazy!) to go out and drop the deck and do it?

Well, Being both lazy and inventive I decided there had to be a better way to clean out the grass build up from under the deck. A trip to the home center and 4 items were quickly purchased. A 3/4" close connect, a 3/4" brass nut, a 3/4" cap and a 3/4" to hose swivel end adapter. I had to put them all together in the vice and use a large pipe wrench to get the close connect down all the way into the cap. Then used a narrow cutting disc in a 4 1/2" grinder to cut slots in the sides of the cap. Here's the parts laid out ready for installation in the mower deck. You can see where the slots were cut for water to spray out and clean the deck.

A-Partsneeded.jpg

Next a hole had to be cut into the deck. Careful eyeball triangulation was used to make sure the blades wouldn't whack it when in place. It's much easier to move holes BEFORE you drill them. Just thought I'd share that little gem of wisdom.

A-Accesshole.jpg

Then the parts were installed with the help of a pipe wrench and a large vice grip pliers.

A-hoseendinplacetempplug.jpg

A-pipeendinplace1.jpg

How's it work? Here's a picture of the head connected to the garden hose. I had to turn the water down so avoid being sprayed. It puts out a nice amount. It doesn't blast off the gunk as it is pretty hard and dry. I may still have to clean it first, but it should do a decent job if used after every cutting while the build up is still soft and wet. At least I hope so! The plan is to connect the hose, turn on the water and then run the deck so the blades can help whip the water around and clean off the goobers.

A-sprayingresults.jpg

I still have to buy a male hose end plug to cap it off when cutting. Don't want those precision calibrated cleansing slots to be blocked!

jb

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #2  
Very clever and reminds me of my Dad's old Bolens garden tractor. It must hve been about thirty years ago now, but it had a similar attachment on it and functioned the way you discribe. It worked fairly good as I recall since I was the one that had to clean it before he had this model.

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #3  
John Bud,

Did you attach pics of the parts and it installed, no pics are showing in the thread. Sounds like it should work well after the intial caked on matter has been cleaned.

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #4  
You can purchase pre-made ones for Cub Cadets tractors with mowers that has a fixture that goes on your hose and shuts the water off until you push it onto the adapters on the mower deck. They have one on each side of the mower deck and when you turn on the mower blades with the water running it sure does a great job. :)
The Gotcha Man

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #5  
Pressure washer wand into the chute opening. :)

Thanks for the pics.

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck!
deerhunterf350 said:
John Bud,

Did you attach pics of the parts and it installed, no pics are showing in the thread. Sounds like it should work well after the intial caked on matter has been cleaned.

Yeah, they are attached. Are you seeing a little "x" box? You can right click it and click on the "show picture", should pop it up. That happens sometimes. I don't know if its due to the net or the picture source.

Gotcha, -- Really? Cool. Will have to check on that. Do you know what mower deck models that it's for?

crbr, That's what I was doing, but it's a pain to get the PW out, hooked up and then your on your knees sticking that wand in there. Getting green back splat in the face and the far side is still goo full. Hopefully this will work better.

jb

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #7  
john_bud said:
Gotcha, -- Really? Cool. Will have to check on that. Do you know what mower deck models that it's for? jb
Here is just a few that have them installed on there mower decks. LT 1042, LT1045, LT 1046 and LT1050. I went to look in my mower operators manual for the part numbers, but low and behold I never got a manual. I'm sure I've seen them on their site though. I'll check tomorrow and see what I can dig up. :)
The Gotcha Man

/ I want a Clean Mower Deck! #9  
john_bud said:
crbr, That's what I was doing, but it's a pain to get the PW out, hooked up and then your on your knees sticking that wand in there. Getting green back splat in the face and the far side is still goo full. Hopefully this will work better.

jb
That I cannot dispute nor deny.... :D