Fuel Tank on trailer

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #1  

bradal

I will be picking up my JD 2305 next friday from the dealer. I bought a tandem axle trailer to haul it, as well as other things, for example wood for the 10x10 shed I built today.

I am looking for some sort of fuel system to mount on the trailer. I was thinking the triangular area between the hitch and the flatdeck part. I was thinking that 50 gallons would be enough (200 liters, I am a canuck, eh!) I might be able to make a barrel work but would like something that looks appropriate. Do they make slip tanks in this size? All I have found is 100 gallon tanks.

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #2  
EDIT: Nevermind, I read that wrong.

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #4  
I think you'll find that putting all that weight on the tongue is bad.
There's no real good place to put it on the trailer without throwing the balance off. You'll find that the trailer will run tongue heavy anyway (because the tractor with implements is long, but all the weight is up front) and adding 400+ lbs over the tongue won't help

Get one for the truck, the L shaped ones and put it under your toolbox.

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #5  
I agree with LoneCowboy about not wanting it on the trailer, but the same and different reasons. How many times have you seen a trailer jackknifed? Putting the fuel tank on the tongue seems like a good idea and use of otherwise wasted space, but in reality is only asking for trouble in the way of a fuel spill should somebody pull out in front of you or you just get a little lax in your backing skills.
Inside the bed, under your toolbox seems like a good idea.
David from jax

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #6  
I also agree with LoneCowboy. You'll be putting too much weight on the tongue...and your tractor has a limit about the vertical load on the draw bar. There's little doubt 50 gallons would exceed that limit.

Another thing..you'll probably find 5 gallons (just under 20 liters) would be quite adequate, considering the low fuel consumption of these CUTs.
I was going to get a 55 gallon drum for a refueling station (208 liters), but I doubt I use 55 gallons in a year. I don't want the fuel (especially diesel, with it's potential to jell or be contaminated with microbacteria) setting around that long.

/ Fuel Tank on trailer
I agree that amount of fuel might be excessive, maybe I could just buy another Jerry Can and fill two at once. Nothing more of a pain than almost done mowing/working and need to make a run to town to fill the little red jug. I guess I will see once I run the JD a bit and witness how much fuel it uses.

Thanks alot!:D

/ Fuel Tank on trailer
Same reason I guess, wouldn't use that much diesel and my truck is gas.

/ Fuel Tank on trailer #10  
I am just wondering how many people burn more than a tank a day during operations of their tractor? With my first tractor, I tried to fill it up in March on my wife's birthday and again in August on our Aniversary so I didn't run out. It didn't use nearly as much fuel as the JD2555 or the Ford 7710, but I haven't run them nearly as much as the little Ford 1100. Actually I am just kidding about those two dates, but it really did make me forget when the last time I filled it up. The other two aren't as forgiving dispite their larger tanks.
I would take a spare amount of fuel with me on the first trip or two and see what the consumption actually is before spending the money having a tank built that might be too large or too small. I have a local station less than a mile away, so I just drive up there and fill it up. I ran the Steiner out of fuel yesterday, and had to make a run to the station. I could have taken some out of one of the tractors but it is too easy to drive up there.
David from jax