running a pto sprayer with a gas engine

/ running a pto sprayer with a gas engine #1  

Pokeboater

Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab
I posted this in the "attachments" section, didn't get much help, thought I'd try it here. I have a 3 point hitch sprayer that runs off the pto that I want to mount on my kawasaki mule to spray. I need some easy way to run the pto pump. I've seen a Honda gas motor with a 6 to 1 gear reduction motor for sale at Northern. Would this work? How do I connect the drive shaft on the motor to the pto pump? Thanks!

/ running a pto sprayer with a gas engine
Northern Tool has a "Honda Gear Reduction Horizontal Engine 8 HP, 1in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# GX240K1HA2" 3600 rpm with a 6:1 gear reduction. The Surplus Center that you mentioned has a "1" KEYED X 1-3/8" 6T SPLINE F/M PTO ADAPTER". Looks like all I have to do is mount the engine, connect the adapter and I'm in business? Will 8hp be enough to power the pump?

/ running a pto sprayer with a gas engine #4  
Pokeboater said:
Northern Tool has a "Honda Gear Reduction Horizontal Engine 8 HP, 1in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# GX240K1HA2" 3600 rpm with a 6:1 gear reduction. The Surplus Center that you mentioned has a "1" KEYED X 1-3/8" 6T SPLINE F/M PTO ADAPTER". Looks like all I have to do is mount the engine, connect the adapter and I'm in business? Will 8hp be enough to power the pump?

I think 8 HP will be fine. I also think that that engine would work well for the pump.

The pto should be spinning at 600 RPM if the engine was going at 3600 RPM so idling back slightly should give you 540. This doesn't need to be exact.

The other option which would be a bit cheaper would be to get an electric pump to replace the PTO one with.

But you might be able to find other uses for the PTO power plant :)

/ running a pto sprayer with a gas engine #5  
Ditto.. like a small generator head.. say 4kw?

belt it to an alternator to make a quickie battery charger.. i saw someone do this with an old push lawnmower..

Soundguy