Cutting Torch Question

/ Cutting Torch Question #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Hi,

I know that some cutting torches run on Acetylene and some run on Propane.

I also know at a certain pressure Acetylene can be very dangerous - It can cause an explosion.

If I use propane in a cutting torch, at what pressure range is it usually used and at what pressure is it dangerous?

Thanks

/ Cutting Torch Question #2  
Acetylene should never be run at any pressure over 15 PSI MAX. AND never use Copper fittings or Copper pipe with Acetylene gas. Only brass with less that 40% copper is allowed.

I've never seen a propane cutting torch.

Larry

/ Cutting Torch Question #4  
I have used propane on the railroad and it requires a different setup on your torch head and tip. I personally didn't think that it got as hot but it's much cheaper if all you do is cut. Though I never tried it, I was told that you can't braze with it. I still use Acetylene at home because from time to time I'll braze something. I sure don't like buying it! (Acetylene) $$$

BD

/ Cutting Torch Question #5  
propane is all I use to cut with. need a new tip specifically for propane. and I think I run my propane at about 7 psi and oxygen at 21 I want to say oxygen needs to be 3 times propane pressure. cuts good for my uses and I always have propane at home. But it is amazing how long a tank lasts the O2 will run out long before the fuel

/ Cutting Torch Question #6  
Acy runs about 5 PSI in use (flowing)

If you want to see an Oxy Propane if you have a local scrap yard, that is probably what they are using. For lots and lots of straight forward (but usually rather crude) cutting, it is the most efficient.

/ Cutting Torch Question #7  
Just wondering. Talking propane torching. Is it the same as MAP gas. That is a very good torch fuel (don't know about brazing) and cheap compared to acetyline.

Harry K

/ Cutting Torch Question #8  
Have you considered a plasma machine? the prices have came way down.

the cut is much cleaner ( means less cleanup on the cut material )

The initial cost is more but the savings on the consumables, gas, oxy, grinding disks is much less in the long run

/ Cutting Torch Question #9  
MAPP gas is Methylacetylene-Propadine. It can be used for heating, brazing, metalizing, soldering, flame hardening and cutting. Mapp gas produces a flame temperature of 5301° F (2927° )
Propane produces a lower flame temperature than acetylene (the maximum flame temperature in oxygen is 2,828°C compared with 3,160°C for acetylene).
Propane is heavier than air so we don't use it much in ship building aroung here.

/ Cutting Torch Question
Thanks for the replies - Is there a pressure at which propane is dangerous?