New project: Front Snow Plow

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #1  

SkunkWerX

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510H
I snagged a used 54" Deere Front Plow.
Brought it home, gave it a quick pressure wash.

It's now in the workshop, disassembled, getting wire brushed, fixed, painted, new hardware, etc. I'm ordering steel to make a Kubota BX/Deere Blade Quick-adapter plate. Also planning to add power angle, but will probably use an after market cylinder and build my own brackets.

I would have preferred a 60" blade, but, beggers can't be choosers.

Skunkwerx SnowPlow1

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #2  
I'll be looking forward to reading (and seeing) your latest project as it progresses. I enjoy following your projects and have learned a few things from them. You do nice work! I hope to build a few projects myself using your approaches and ideas as the basis (if you don't mind).

Dave

/ New project: Front Snow Plow
Dascro said:
I'll be looking forward to reading (and seeing) your latest project as it progresses. I enjoy following your projects and have learned a few things from them. You do nice work!

Thanks for the compliments!! :D

Dascro said:
I hope to build a few projects myself using your approaches and ideas as the basis (if you don't mind).

Dave

Be my guest! I do the same thing.
There are a couple old threads adapting Deere Blades to other tractors, one was a Yanmar, the other a BX series. Both guys did great jobs. I'll link them in this thread, when I re-find them.

-

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #5  
John,

This will be a good project to follow, I look forward to it. How much snow do you get at your place in Maryland? Looks like the plow has a fairly decent outer diameter size cylinder for lifting, how long is the stroke?, is there any way to adapt that for power angle? The plow looks light weight enough so that it should not be adding too much weight to the FEL. I've seen a few of these in the past. The only thing I wonder about is how much affect it has on steering when trying to push a huge pile of wet snow. Maybe it being 54" wide is a good thing. Did I understand your correctly in that this is a freebie?

Larry

Larry,

As far as snow in Maryland, we can have winters with a few 3" to 6" snows, or we can have major DUMPS. 18", 24" 36" and we even had 42" around 2003. The southern moisture pumps up the Atlantic Coast, meets the Cold air, and wham, we can get hammered.
Like this (taken at my old house; circa 2003):
BigSnowTractor.jpg

So the answer is, some years all you need is a snow shovel, other years you need all you can get.

Originally I was thinking of FEL mounting it, but, I think I am going with a standard frame hook-up.
These plows all have the holes already drilled for a Deere "Power angle Kit" , so, yes, it is ready. I'll just make my own brackets.

The cylinder is a 4" stroke. Replacements are EXpensive, so, I went and found 2 other stubby cylinders , slightly longer in OAL, with 5 inch stroke. Got both for 2/3rds of what I would pay for a single Deere replacement cylinder.
And they are new, so I know I'm starting with fresh-meat.

The aftermarket cylinders should also allow me a little more Up and Down.

As an added bonus, the Deere Blade has a pin for rigid down-force, or pull the pin and gives a mechanical float linkage. As well, the blade itself can be unpinned so the spring-tripper will also work.

Having a float linkage and the spring tripper is a double bonus!

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #7  
Geez Skunk, another project? LOL ... Don't you sleep?
I will be keeping an eye on this thread too. I love to see what you're up to. You do really nice work and you're a good thinker. Your finishing is outstanding... better than store bought.

Looks pretty cold in those pictures. Do you think you'll have a Winter like that this year? Man, I'm glad I don't have to deal with all that snow. I know you guys like it. It's just an excuse so you can get or make another project to deal with it.:)
What's happening with your tiller project?

3RRL said:
Geez Skunk, another project? LOL ... Don't you sleep?
I will be keeping an eye on this thread too. I love to see what you're up to. You do really nice work and you're a good thinker. Your finishing is outstanding... better than store bought.

Looks pretty cold in those pictures. Do you think you'll have a Winter like that this year? Man, I'm glad I don't have to deal with all that snow. I know you guys like it. It's just an excuse so you can get or make another project to deal with it.:)
What's happening with your tiller project?

Rob, thanks for the support and kind words. I'm a hack when it comes to fabrication and welding, I am an idea-stealer, and amatuer parts-changer.
This is the project I said might pre-empt the tiller depth job. I had been bidding on Flea-bay with no luck, but then this one came available locally, I practically stole it.

Right now it is all disassembled, in various states of cleaning and de-rustifying. Let's just say me and the wire-wheel have been getting intimate, lately. ;)

Got the 2 replacement cylinders yesterday eve. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to do some painting of various parts, and re-assembly of sub-assemblies. :rolleyes:

The real meat of this project will be the Kubota to Deere Blade Adapter Plate.
As always, waiting for the steel to arrive. If it doesn't show up today (Fri) then I'm looking at next week.

Here's a peek at the 2 cylinders.
Hydcylinders.jpg

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #9  
skunk,

Are you planning on mounting this to the FEL or taking it off and mounting like a typical snow blade? I can't wait to see how this turns out.

-Scot

/ New project: Front Snow Plow #10  
SkunkWerX said:
I snagged a used 54" Deere Front Plow.
Brought it home, gave it a quick pressure wash

I would have preferred a 60" blade, but, beggers can't be choosers.

Skunkwerx SnowPlow1

Mornin John,
A great time of year for another snowplow ! :) I adapted an old 54" Cub plow to my Super A by extending each side of the plow out an additional 7" for a total of 68" I believe along with raising the height for additional capacity ! That may be an option for you !

In any event good luck, and I will be following along !

Attachments

• Snowplow.jpg
    Snowplow.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,201