Power Steering & FEL on Yanmar F16 project

/ Power Steering & FEL on Yanmar F16 project #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
Here's the start of my project to add a Koyker 80 FEL and Power Steering to my Yanmar F16d.

The Koyker 80 doesn't have a mounting kit for my F16, so I'll be making my own.

While I'm doing that, I'm also adding power steering. Again, no kit was available. However, I can't say enough about the help I got from Rick at Tractor power steering conversion kit and parts store.

First step, Remove the skins.
IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

Now, disconnect the decompression and fuel shut-off cables

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/Yanmar_Project/IMG_3038.jpg

/ Power Steering & FEL on Yanmar F16 project
I'll be replacing the steering column, so off with the old.

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

Here's a close-up of a bracket I'll have to re-make
IMG_3045.jpg

I'll have to make a plate to cover the trans where the old steering column bolted to
IMG_3046.jpg

So... that's how you get to the clutch
IMG_3047.jpg

And finally, the column on the floor
IMG_3048.jpg

The new plate to cover the trans, where the PS orbital hand pump brackets will be fastened. For this, I used 1/2" plate I had laying around

IMG_3050.jpg

The new steering column bracket (Still need to cut the 1.5" hole for the new column)

IMG_3051.jpg

The new column sitting in the hole. The new column is ~5" taller than the old. But, since the old wheel was pretty low, it shouldn't matter much.

Also, it looks like I'm going to have to move the fuel tank a little to the front. I am going to move the top to the front side of the mounts, which should give me 1/4 inch. I'm going to move the bottom to the front side of the mounts, and possibly add a 1/4" spacer for a total of 1/2". Hopefully that will be enough.

IMG_3055.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the #6 BPP drain plug (3/8 British Pipe Parallel)

IMG_3054.jpg

Here are the Input & Output plugs from the factory 3pt spool. I also inserted a 1/4" BPT (British Pipe Tapered) headless plug in the Out port to divert the flow out to the PS & FEL before coming back to the 3pt.

In this pic, the Out port is gold colored. The in port, is silver colored.

IMG_3053.jpg

That's it for this week. Still need to get the fittings for the PS hand pump before I can make the brackets to mount it. I can't fabricate the brackets for the double acting power steering cylinder until I have the FEL brackets made. I will probably incorporate the PS cylinder brackets into the FEL brackets. Also, I have a 60" woods MMM that will be utilizing the FEL brackets.

/ Power Steering & FEL on Yanmar F16 project #5  
Jimmer, keep us posted ! PS is one thing i truely wish my ole tractor had. Also glad to see you have figured out the good way to tap into your hydraulics !

I haven't taken the pic's, but I was able to move the fuel tank to the opposite side of the brackets. That bought me another 3/8 to 1/2" of clearance. That little bit appears to be enough. However, I haven't been able to spend any real time in the garage since then.

My Koyker 80 just arrived last night. It sure looks purdy. Hopefully I'll get enough shop time in over the weekend to work on the mounting brackets (which will probably include brackets for the PS cyilinder also).

Unfortunately, the 90deg fittings haven't arrived for the steering column yet, so I can't start to fabricate the base bracket for that until they arrive.

On top of all of that, both of the batteries for my digital camera have decided to go bad. We do have another camera, but I have to wrestle it away from my wife who isn't very keen on allowing the "good camera" inside of the garage. I have no idea why she may feel that way :rolleyes:

It's going to be a slow process.

I have a question on hydraulic fittings in general.

It looks to me, like the Inside Diamater of a pipe fitting is much larger than the ID of a JIC fitting of the same size. What I mean is, the ID of a 1/4" NPT (or BPP, BPT, ORFS etc) looks to be siginificantly larger than the ID of a 1/4" JIC.

I have been getting all of my fittings with whatever they are on the object to a JIC fitting. that way I will have standard, easy to come by hoses. But, after looking at the small ID of JIC fittings, I'm tempted to go to the next size larger JIC. For example, instead of putting 3/8" JIC fittings on a 3/8" hose, I'm tempted to put 1/2" JIC on 3/8" hose.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

/ Power Steering & FEL on Yanmar F16 project #8  
FYI, check to see if you can get the valve cover off after you move the tank. I had one model that had to be split at the bell housing to get the valve cover off. I would at least check the valve clearances before putting it back together.

Kays, Thank you for that pointer. I just looked. My F16 has what I would consider a mini-firewall (piece of sheet-metal) between the engine compartment & where the fuel tank is located. There's a good 1.5" between that & the fuel tank. The valve cover is even further forward. So, plenty of room there.

Thanks again though.... I hadn't thought of that, so I'm glad you said something.

Update: I only got to work on it a couple hours today. But, I have 2 of the 3 steering column brackets painted & ready to go. Everything on the column is now located though. I need to get some o-rings for the ports on the bottom of the column before I can do the final fit-up.

The double-acting cylinder for the PS is placed as well. I hope to make the mounting bracket for that tomorrow. I was unable to use the mounting bracket for the FEL, but I will be able to tie it into the steering column bracket. Unfortunately, I'll need to notch out the sheet metal on the left-side skin to accomodate the bracket.

I was able to locate the Priority valve under the battery box behind the seat.

The loader is located around the tractor. Now, I just have to make the mounting brackets.

On the F16, there are 2 sheet-metal & clear plastic guards that extend towards and up from the front of the foot-rests. I will probably not be able to re-install those, as the FEL brackets and PS cylinder will interfere. But, That's ok, I wasn't that fond of those anyway.

I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow of my progress.

thank you everyone.