Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #1  

SkunkWerX

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510H
The objective was to mount lights onto the ROPS on the BX2350, without drilling, welding, cutting or altering the ROPS.

I decided on a fixture, that would clamp to the ROPS.
ROPS CLAMPING LIGHT BRACKETS

It required some basic metal bending. Luckily under my workbench I had one of these HarborFreight Benders. It hadn't seen much use, so this was the time of reckoning. HF COMPACT BENDER

1 1/2" x 1/8th" flat stock was used. 1/8th" isn't too thick, so was easily bent into shape. LIGHT BRACKETS CLOSE UP

I had planned on leaving some space for rubber pads to placed between the ROPS and bracket, but the gap turned out to be larger than planned, therefor a spacer was added underneath. As seen in the prior pic.

INITIAL FIT UP

Wiring scheme was via a relay, so the lights are OFF when the key is off. 2 switches for indiidually switching front and back lights.
There was not a desireable flat surface on the dash panel, so the switches were mounted in a radio shack project box, and fastened to the base of the ROPS using 3M double back adhesive (strong stuff). The switches are lighted and can be found at most auto stores. LIGHTED SWITCHES

And finally, the MONEY SHOT:
(notice the light even hits the tips of the bucket teeth)

LightsatNight.jpg

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #2  
Nice job. I've been thinking of doing something like that to mine. How did run the wires to the lights? Inside the ROPS, or on the outside? Doug

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution
petegoud said:
Nice job. I've been thinking of doing something like that to mine. How did run the wires to the lights? Inside the ROPS, or on the outside? Doug

Wired down the inside vertical of the ROPS, using 3M stick-on cable clips.

Running wires inside the ROPS would require drilling holes in it, which enters into the big "Don't modify your ROPS" topic.

My goal was to do a fairly clean job of it, but avoid drilling and welding.

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #4  
That's pretty slick!

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #5  
Nice job. What kind of power draw did the lights have and did you have to consider any impact on the battery/ charging system?

drivadesl said:
Nice job. What kind of power draw did the lights have and did you have to consider any impact on the battery/ charging system?

Yes, I did pay attention to it.

For anyone considering adding lights,
Each 55 watt light , at 13.5 volts draws about 4 amps, give or take a fraction. (volts x amps = watts)

This calculation also points you in the direction of what size fuse to use.

Then look at your alternator output, and consider any other items that would turned on in conjunction. As long as your total consumption is less than your alternators output, your battery should suffer.

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #7  
Quite the nice set up. Your all-around clamp is an excellent approach.

Could you post a schematic sketch of your wiring? And specify the relay you used? I am fascinated with relays but don't know squat about them or how to wire them.

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #8  
Could you post a schematic sketch of your wiring? And specify the relay you used? I am fascinated with relays but don't know squat about them or how to wire them.

RedDirt, I have posted on this many, many times. Try doing an advanved search for "relay" under my user name.

/ Lights Mounted to ROPS: "No drill" solution #10  
Thanks both for the relay links, I'll check them out.