Hydraulic top link

/ Hydraulic top link #1  

millwrightdude

Silver Member
I would like to order a Hydraulic top link from Carter & Carter Machinery on monday, But I have one question. I dont know what length to order?

My top link is a cat.II and measures 24 closed to 34 opened. CC Machinery has one that is 21.5 to 32.5 and another one that is 23.65-34.

I'm not sure which one to order. I thought I would ask and see if I could get some input from people that have them.

/ Hydraulic top link #2  
millwrightdude said:
I would like to order a Hydraulic top link from Carter & Carter Machinery on monday, But I have one question. I dont know what length to order?

My top link is a cat.II and measures 24 closed to 34 opened. CC Machinery has one that is 21.5 to 32.5 and another one that is 23.65-34.

I'm not sure which one to order. I thought I would ask and see if I could get some input from people that have them.

It looks like the other one would be the way to go.

/ Hydraulic top link #3  
One thing you might do is check how your implements sit when connected on the 3 pt.
One in particular is the boxblade, if you have one. You'll want to make sure your stock top link gives you the range of motion you desire, That is, with it fully retracted and extended, does your boxblade tilt forward and backwards enough? Check you other implements for the same range of motion you desire. Then you'll know what suits your needs best.

/ Hydraulic top link #4  
As 3RRL suggests, the range of motion is important.

The shorter number is probably more important with a boxblade to make sure the box can be tipped forward enough to have the rippers dig deeper.

The longer number might be more important if you have a rotary mower and need to extend back far enough to let the tailwheel drop all the way to the ground. If it is too short, the mower never sits level on the ground.

Main question: Would you like for your existing top link to do something it can't do now? Extend farther or shorten up more? that is what you want your new top link to do.

/ Hydraulic top link #5  
I bought the shorter one initially, but found it was not quite long enough some applications on my NH 40 DA. Returned it for longer one without cost except shipping back to them. Great people at CCM

/ Hydraulic top link #6  
Newbie here, can somebody please explain how the top link is powered?. Do you run a hose from the front loader or what?, I have a KUBOTA b7510. It would be great to be able to adjust my box blade from the seat, but I do not know how those things work.

/ Hydraulic top link #7  
randy1687 said:
Newbie here, can somebody please explain how the top link is powered?. Do you run a hose from the front loader or what?, I have a KUBOTA b7510. It would be great to be able to adjust my box blade from the seat, but I do not know how those things work.

While you COULD run a line from the loader I don't know of anyone that does because you then lost that function of the loader. ie if you use the curl circuit for the top link while using the top link you couldn't curl the bucket. The way most people go is to have at least a single remote hydraulic circuit off the back. One is good, two is better. One you can use for the top link, a second could be used to angle a york rake, backblade, swing a snowblower shute etc. You can also get a single and add a "splitter" which is a little valve that allows one remote to control two circuits by turning the valve. Saves you about $500 for a second dedicated circuit.