TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align #1  

rhett

Gold Member
Tractor
IH-1086 and a GRAY
GuglioLS awesome thread = General Forums > Build-It Yourself > Landscape Rake Build got me interested and thinking of a simple "Customization" for my TSC 6' Landscape Rake. The customization allows the spring tines to float and align to the angle of use, at the same time keeping tine spacing at a constant.

The last task I've yet to do is build pivoting straps to keep the tensioner bar at a desired setting. Without them the tensioner bar will always be forced up against the 4" angle allowing maximum spring action. (described on pix)

Parts Used:
2 boxes of 100 ct 5/16" flat washers ($3.95 box of 100 at local hardware)
Qty = ? of 3/8" Lock Nuts ($0.17 ea, I only needed 9 where for some reason they used plain nuts and lock washers in a few spots?)

To Do:
1. Loosen all 3/8" bolts that connect tines to 4" angle. They should be snug but still be turnable almost by hand. (mine are turnable by hand right at snug)

2. Loosen all 3/8" bolts on the tine tensioner to where the nuts can be removed by hand.
2a. 1 bolt at a time add 5 ea 5/16" washers between the tensioner straps, finger tighten nuts. I had 37 to do.
2b. Tighten all the nuts, they should be snug but still be turnable almost by hand. (mine are turnable by hand at snug)

Use:
1. Tines will auto-magically align during heavy forward use.
2. Or Rake raised, you can grab a tine in its curved part and adjust by giving a good tug.
3. Tighten all the 3/8" bolts and there should be no movement if that is desied.

Rhett

Attachments

• 01_TSC _6ft_rake_tines-angled.jpg
    01_TSC _6ft_rake_tines-angled.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 02_TSC _6ft_rake_washers.jpg
    02_TSC _6ft_rake_washers.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 03_TSC _6ft_rake.jpg
    03_TSC _6ft_rake.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 04_TSC _6ft_rake_tension_adj_strap.jpg
    04_TSC _6ft_rake_tension_adj_strap.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 05_TSC _6ft_rake_EZ-Hitch_cutaway.jpg
    05_TSC _6ft_rake_EZ-Hitch_cutaway.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 387
   / TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align #2  
I dont get it. What is it that your customization will do?

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align #3  
dtd24 said:
I dont get it. What is it that your customization will do?
it appears to let the tines of the rake swivel to match the direction of travel of the tractor while the take is at an angle

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align #4  
aczlan said:
it appears to let the tines of the rake swivel to match the direction of travel of the tractor while the take is at an angle

...and the point of that is.. what ?

I'd guess the windrowing effect is lost.
Instead of having what are effectively many small angled blades you get many small straight blades arranged on a diagonal - - Like, Duhh - so what ?

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align
yes, what "aczlan said

also, what I've found from several days of use with the tines 'floating' (not bolted rigid). the rake does not clog up as bad as before. after several days of use after installing the washers, I've only had to get off the tractor once to clean the rake, and it was very easy to clean. the 'floating tines' do not seem to allow vines, shrubs and such to get tightly entangled, making for an easy clean.

Rhett

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align
Reg said:
...and the point of that is.. what ?

to allow the spring steel to spring at its design.

Reg said:
I'd guess the windrowing effect is lost.
Instead of having what are effectively many small angled blades you get many small straight blades arranged on a diagonal - - Like, Duhh - so what ?

no, the wind rowing effect is not lost.
anyone could at anytime grab a couple of wrenches and tighten them up so there is no movement. at the least the washers will not allow forced misaligned tines.

why knock something without trying it first?

Rhett

/ TSC Landscape-Rake Tine Auto-Magic Align #7  
Rhett,

Interesting concept keeping the rake tines parallel to the line of engagement. Seems to me your idea has merit eliminating side forces on the tines allowing them to keep their spring action. Keep experimenting and thinking outside the box. You may be on to something here, especially if the tines will automatically line up to the direction of pull regardless of rake angle. I like the fact you reported the tines do not get clogged as bad - how cool is that?

Larry