Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved

/ Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #1  

ACHINBAC

Silver Member
Tractor
BX24
Notes from the Monster Garage; Despite the generous advice of "A light foot", and "Experience will prevail" I've read on various posts, the sudden reverse "slam" that we bx24 owners continually encounter prevails with no factory fix - until now. However, the "fix" is not for the faint of heart.

You'll see in the attached pictures the lever that was installed in the unused starboard slot inboard of the turtle/rabbit lever. It links through two bellcranks directly to the HST pedal - push forward for forward, pull back for reverse. Yes, you can now drive the tractor with the seat facing the backhoe, by simply reaching down with your left hand. It gives me a more accurate "feel" of the transmission.

The pictured "left brake pedal" - where it was supposed to be anyhow - (linked to the transverse rod that pivots the factory brake pedal) actually solved the problem - it can be applied by your left foot as you slow in reverse with your right on the HST pedal - just as you'd do in your car or truck. I was able to fit the pedal arm up through the existing brake lock slot, welded a short 1" long arm horizontally to the cheezy lock thing and added a rubber cover to the lock thing (cover from Kubota - you'll recognize it as the differential lock pad). The left brake cover is also factory.

Both in conjunction or separately solve the problem, but were not fabbed to solve the problem - they are just two more things why my friends say I should see a doctor.

Attachments

• HST 1.JPG
    HST 1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • HST 2.JPG
    HST 2.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,228
  • HST 3.JPG
    HST 3.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • HST 4 LEDS.JPG
    HST 4 LEDS.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 980
  • BRAKE 1.JPG
    BRAKE 1.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,659
  • BRAKE 2.JPG
    BRAKE 2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,215
  • HST 6.JPG
    HST 6.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,031
  • HST 5.JPG
    HST 5.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,164
   / Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #2  
That's great! I was wondering how to make my BX24 hand controlled in addition to driving from the backhoe seat.

ACHINBAC, would you happen to have a list of material or parts for the hand control??

Thanks.

/ Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved
Carsce, unfortunately I did not take progress pictures as the linkage was constructed. I will take some close up shots "as built" and post them in the future for you but please heed the following:

1. If the linkage you construct binds due to faulty construction or damage ie; overstress, bad welds, dirt/contamination, incorrect geometry, damage from rocks or sticks jamming the linkage as you drive over them, you will not react in time with the brake, or if you do you may not be able to overide the hst if the throttle is pegged - someone or something will get destroyed.

2. The geometry was a real head scratcher trying to get the throw of the upper lever to match that of the hst pedal within the constraints of the frame/fender/other existing linkage/deck pan/ as well as keeping it tucked up within the side rails underneath so a bash plate could be installed to protect it.

3. In my case, the existing structures I took advantage of to mount the hst linkage as well as the brake arm location disabled the ability to mount a MMM. Not a sacrifice as I will never own one.

4. It took many hours to mock up (see #2) and many hours to fab with a heavy eye regarding failsafe operation - all pivot point components are either brass, stainless or nylon, all shaft pivots have grease fittings (read no corrosion as #1 is gospel).

All of that aside, it is the coolest thing to simply reach down with your right hand to reverse while keeping your foot on the forward hst pedal & left foot on the left brake. As we all know - the bx's brake pedal is way high, and lifting your foot up to the rear hst pedal has always felt awkward. The tractor can also be inched forward or back while standing next to it as long as you place a hand on the seat to activate the interlock switch.

I can provide only pictures, the rest is up to you.

Dave

Attachments

• TOP DWN.JPG
    TOP DWN.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 740
   / Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #4  
Dave were did you get your canope?

How much room do you have when operating the hoe?

tommu

/ Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #5  
Hello Dave,

I'm very.. very impress with the work/project/quality you've done. :)

I love the brake & new HST lever...These changes make the BX almost prefect in every way.

Thumbs up! If you get a chance, please put me on your list of email... for the update pictures.

Richard

Bird/Richard,
We've met before . . .

You may recall one night a few weeks ago when I probably jambed your inbox by accidentally sending you too many pictures from the monster garage - chopper bicycle etc. . . My apologies. I am Dave Norton aka Precision Works.
Just installed the spacers you sent me - you do quality work and I recommend everyone on this board to buy from you with confidence. As a professional courtesy check the seat of your studs - I drove a few home with a punch before install. Glad you had the foresight to downsize the width of the front ones, Thanks.

I am new to the board and a bit of a computer dummy (as you found out the other night) but have some good ideas to share and will post more pics as time allows. You could click on my avatar and look at my posts for pics for the time being til I get the email thing figured out. Most of the pics I've taken are at 7 megs and can be zoomed way for detail in by holding Ctrl and then + + + then - - - to resize on your keyboard, however the ones on this site have been resized way down. I found an excellent post by GRRRR or something like that & will use his instructions to set up access to an offsite location someday.

You might be interested in detailed shots of the backhoe hitch fab - simple to fab, minimal materials, base plate bent to all the major bucket shapes - would sell like hot cakes.

Have lots of good ideas/solutions, but not nearly enough time for them all - my 16 year old son says I need to get a life though if you recall Mark Twain's famous quote it will be many years before Alex realizes the truth . . . .

Good to finally meet you Richard,
Small World

Dave
Precision Works
Monster Garage

PS: I installed high intensity leds behind the eyes, always on- it is actually a fender ornament for a Harley FLH from JP's mag - ground to match the hood . . .

Attachments

• hood.JPG
    hood.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
   / Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #7  
Agreed - this is great work!

As you mention, it addresses several problems that have annoyed me since owning the tractor. I am always reaching for the left brake pedal and catching the little parking lock lever instead because that is where the brake is in all my other vehicles.

I also don't care of the "feel" of the HST foot shuttle. I've locked up the rears countless times by letting off it too fast in reverse. Tried to develop a technique keeping toe on the floorboard and feathering it with my heel. Worst is when I'm backing up with a full bucket of material in the FEL and the pedal slams home and I spill the top off the bucket! It would also be nice to have the finger control when hoeing.

I hope you post up part numbers and more pics when you have time.

Also really like your folding canopy and is that a custom hood ornament in your avatar?

Now if someone could just rig up independent left and right brakes on this little machine for turning in tight places, the little BX would be just like a true mini version of it's bigger cousins!

Thanks for sharing....

amp

Tommu56,

You spell like my wife. The canopy came from a distributor/tractor dealership in western Mass. A google search of tractorsunshade.com, or tractorsunscreen.com will give you a local distributor. I only wanted the fibre glass - tossed all the brackets and bolts. Layed new glass at all the mounting points, sprayed it satin black and dripped/splattered it with orange and blue paint.

In the pic you see the top is all the way down for storage/trailoring to keep it out of turbulance. It articulates up part way to cover the backhoe station, and all the way up for front coverage. The combined push of the two gas struts (180 lbs) is about 20lbs short of neutral - oh well. . .

It locks in all three positions.

/ Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #9  
Without a doubt, your mods are some of the nicest work I've seen!:cool:

As for "seeing a doctor," nope...you're obviously someone who sees things and says "why not?"

I hate the "two-pedal" HST arrangement, and have been thinking about retrofitting the earlier BX treadle. I know it won't cure the reverse neck snap, but your brake pedal mod will. I like your lever arrangement, but still have hopes of filling that slot by adapting the BX7326 Rear Hydraulic Kit. Looks like I'm gonna have to break down and get a welder.:D

As for your son and Mark Twain...I've got one in his mid-twenties, and I'm still waiting...:eek:

/ Kubota bx24 reverse problem solved #10  
Dave not knowing whats under my floorboards I can't really see what you changed to solve this problem. Plus the way TBN makes you "remember a pic" then 'back button" to the thread and choose another pic, (sorry TBN I can't remember pics well enough to work like that).

Also the weight of your foot driving into the 'FWD' (as the tractor decelerates) exacerbates the 'reverse slam' problem.

Do you think it's feasible to simply add an oil filled damper to the BX linkage so the reverse can't end so abruptly? Was thinking of something like this. Its about $30

example partnumber or search is "109-2339 Toro Z Master Motion Control Damper"

Attachments

• damper.png
    damper.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited: