A silk purse from a sow's ear.

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear. #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
This link shows all the modifications I've made to my FIMCO 3-point sprayer to make it Quick-Hitch compatible. It also shows the individual boom section valves and the damage that happened to the handgun hose and storage bracket when the hose came off the bracket and slipped under the tractor's rear tire while I was backing up to reload the sprayer.

I've made a couple of other modifications that I still need to take pictures of; namely the tennis balls hanging from a rope to act as boom height gauges.

Also, once I finish fabricating the hose reel mount to replace the cheesy handgun/hose storage bracket, I will post photos of that modification too.

Future modifications include moving the suction strainer outboard where it's easily accessible along with a tank drain dump valve to make tank draining faster. Currently draining the tank requires the flushing solution to drain through the suction strainer, which is slow. Electric valves to replace the manual ones so I don't have to hop on and off the tractor to open and close boom valves as needed are also planned.

Bottom line...Although I have no qualms with FIMCO's manufacturing, I should have made my own spray rig.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - FIMCO Sprayer

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear. #2  
You Sir..... are a Craftsman. Well done.

Your term "Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear" brings back fond memories of my Grandfather and Father who used terms like that (and many others not printable) regularly. Thank you.

BD

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear.
Rob:

I appreciate the kind words from the master fabricator himself. I only post medium resolution photos as my high resolution ones are about 2mb each.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take a run to the scrap yard to pick up some steel for the retractable hose reel mounting plate. Thanks to the gas prices, I plan my trips more carefully now since the scrap yard is probably a 30-mile round trip. Unfortunately this means my projects now drag out even longer than usual since I don't just hop in the car or truck on a whim anymore.

Thanks again for taking a look at what I've been doing.

Matt

I finally got around to posting pictures of my sprayer's latest modification, which is a new handgun mount and self retracting hose reel to replace the cheesy handgun mount and hose storage bracket that came with the sprayer.

My next modification to it will either be a quick dump valve to make emptying the tank quicker, which will make cleanups faster; or it will be solenoid valves to replace the manual valves controlling the boom sections. The solenoid valves will allow me to control the boom valves from the seat instead of having to hop on and off the tractor to use the manual valves.

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear. #6  
Really nice. You've got alot of features that full-size sprayers have. Gonna add foam markers?:D

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear. #7  
Matt,
More terrific work on your part.
I am constantly impressed specifically with how neat and clean your work is. It is like ... perfect man.
Thanks for posting that hose reel too. I've been eyeballing that one but was afraid of the quality. From your super deluxe photos of it, it looks really good. I would use it for my new shop air hose, the one I would use to air stuff up outside. That price is better than I've seen too. Do you have the direct link to where I could order one for that price?
Thanks...

Matt,
I am constantly impressed specifically with how neat and clean your work is. It is like ... perfect man.
Thanks for posting that hose reel too. I've been eyeballing that one but was afraid of the quality. From your super deluxe photos of it, it looks really good. I would use it for my new shop air hose, the one I would use to air stuff up outside. That price is better than I've seen too. Do you have the direct link to where I could order one for that price?
Thanks...

Thanks for the compliments, I do appreciate them. Maybe one day I'll have your tools to do some more serious work.

Here is the link you requested; but I'm afraid the price went up since I bought mine. Northern Industrial Air Hose Reel with 3/8in. x 50ft. PVC Hose | Air Hoses + Reels | Northern Tool + Equipment

/ A silk purse from a sow's ear. #10  
Matt,
Thanks...

Costco sells reels with air hose in good quality for $50. I use mine daily for few years now and it is still like new.