$1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :(

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #11  
FWIW, when I lived in the Hudson Valley in Upstate NY, there was a great industrial salvage business that sold anything they could get their hands on- electrical, metal, hardware, fittings, you name it! One day, they had pallets of unused, sorted high grade fasteners (grade 8 was about the worst)- all sorts, USA and metric, big and little: I heard they'd gotten all 1,100 pounds for 1 cent a pound. Years ago, Detroit Diesel Allison used to have a "salvage" room at their plant in Indianapolis where your could find goodies for 10 cents a pound. Used Proto torgue wrenches come to mind. Ah, the good ol' days.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #12  
Maybe a tank or plane, but more likely as a naval ship or off shore drilling platform. My 80 year old dad made a statement just about a month ago that China reminds him of what history tells us Japan was doing in the 1920's and 1930's and we all know what that ultimately led to.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #13  
Yep I just told a fellow at work this morning in the 20's and 30's a little Island country did just that and he argued with me.
I did get a buy today in a five and six foot 3 point disc at a scrap yard. enought there to make a good disc and a 4 wheeler disc to. I hateto see it all go my neighbor just cut up all his old equipmentseveral HD20 AC dozers and a few OldCats and a couple cranes and a running scraper and dragline and a gradall. I had taken him up on an offer for 1800 on the gradall with a thumb but hadto wait for the scrappers to finish using it. I road down the road to get it and one of the torch monkeds had de boomed it. PI*&(*ed of doesnt even come close to what i felt. I got refunded on the spot.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #14  
"I got refunded on the spot."
The scrapper intentionally destroyed YOUR equipment. You should have demanded $4k from him or a new boom installed for how much?
Oh well, I don't know the fine details but I can imagine your pain.

At work I look out for goodies in the maintenance/fab shop scrap hopper - like 2x2x1/4 x16" square tube shorts, etc. They get $.06/lb for what goes in the steel dumpster so that is what I pay.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #15  
$1.00/lb. for scrap is a lot. Are you sure they weren't selling it as secondary? I pay $0.15/lb. for scrap. That's how I got a few of my tools like a punch press, arbor presses, a monster OBI and just recently, a 4-gang disk harrow by Case in good shape (Globe-Eagle castings). Nearly had a JD-510 baler but it was on hold by someone.

The place I go to is in a small town in the middle of farm country. There's always a lot of old machinery and implements. Perfectly good (to me) plow blades go for a couple of bucks. Nearly had another 3-bottom but couldn't find the cross bar linkage.

Any how, didn't mean to make you drool but that's too much for "scrap". :eek:

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #16  
They are paying $12.00 a hundred or $240.00 a ton for scrap cars here in Alabama.

A lady down the road caught two guys in a pickup with a hook (like a repo truck) in her front yard hooking to a junk car the other day. Seems there has been a lot of cars stolen out of yards in our area and taken to the scrap yard.

Her neighbor told me he wished they had gotten the car and two more in her yard to go with it. :eek:

Chris

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #17  
A friend that frequents the local steel salvage yard said when came out of the office from getting some steel a lowboy pulled in with a D-6 still runnin' on the trailer (the driver said he'd jumped started it cause bad battery to load it and just left it run to offload for scrap. It was a hydraulic machine to boot. Now a days you gotta buy new, just the way it is. bjr

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #18  
Up Here in ohio it is hard to get any car type junk yard to deal with you anymore. seems they want NEW CAR prices for old used parts. I went 35 miles each way to buy a part for my Nissan Pathfinder due to I NEEDED it soon & Junk Yard wanted to charge me 35 bucks for the part. I laughed and told them it was 28 at the dealer... Seems they figured that since it took the guy 20 min to take it off it was worth more. I told them that I helped remove it But didn't tell him I make twice what his yard lacky makes;) I got it for 20 bucks and even then I was made about it costing that much for a small suspension fork that was in bad shape to boot.
I think that the junk yards have it in their heads that they can get more for a car by weight if every thing is left on them!?!? I been trying for several months to find a good used gas tank and a steering column for my 93 ford crown vic! they usually cut the tanks out anyway & toss into different pile. as for the steering column they don't want to let anyone take anything off a car they want to do it and charge you 35 bucks an hr plus what they thing the old part is worth. seems I can make more money junking the car than it is worth to try & fix even though it runs like a top!?!? stupid people just P.O me ! :(

Other guy I stopped at local place has about 6 crown vics all with good parts on is hauling OLD 1960/70's pickups up here from Arkansas wanting 2 grand each for well beat up trucks! non-running JY picked over trucks. Yet won't sell me the CV parts at a price worth buying & removing used parts for... go figure...

mark

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #19  
Brad I was hot about the old Gradall it was amid 70's new upper motor. The scappers foreman acted like he no habla I told hin refund or Ill teach you to habla. What poed me was the fact they knew Bought it and the owner of the operation tried to get me to let him get it. Im sure it wasnt a mistake but I got even big time and Im still getting even. EPA has a report once a week on there oil disposal and tires.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #20  
logan is a steel yard and it's not exactly "scrap" but cut offs and shorts. They sold shorts 6 years ago for 50cents/pound. Then 4yrs years ago it went up to 75cents/lb now its 1.00/lb.

I think you can go to metals supermarket in waterbury and buy the amount of steel you want, cut to length/size for about the same price. Least that is what i calculated out when i bought my last piece of steel to add a Power steering pump to my FJ40...I figured out that if i found the exact size piece i needed at logans(unlikely) then it would be the same price to buy the exact size i need from metals supermarket...

I just bought some steel for work from Chapin and Bangs down in Bridgeport (not sure if we get a corporate discount or not?? but anyway) The two pieces i bought were 116lbs total(3x2x1/4, 20ft, and 1/4x2, 20ft) and it cost 123.00 with 12dollar fuel surcharge...

They are getting 175/ton here in CT for light iron. We had an old chiller here at work that i brought to the scrap yard. The line was around the building with scrappies. One guy had a load of pallet racks on a flat bed that he was getting rid of....

SS