$1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :(

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #1  

bialecki

Gold Member
Just got back from Logan steel, Logan Steel - Steel In All Forms I picked up a nice 3/8" 27" X 27" steel plate (63#) and some 2x2 tubing for my welding table, and some other tubing and I can not belive how quickly the weight adds up (total of 270 #), especially at $1.00/ pound!

Sometimes I feel it is just cheaper to buy some of the tools I want to make for my Kubota. The last time I bought steel was at 25 cents/ pound.

Well at least I can now be busy in my garage.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #2  
I was just quoted $.65/lb for steel for a welding table. 1/2" thick, A36 steel plate. I wasn't real happy with that quote.:( :(
There is an outfit that buys misc. steel scrap from the plant I work at. They are paying $250.00/ton for the scrap steel the get from us. I believe that adds up to about 12.5 cents per pound.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #3  
Imagine...............

We used to get a penny a pound for scrap iron and steel!

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #4  
BlacknTan said:
Imagine...............

We used to get a penny a pound for scrap iron and steel!

I was just going to write that...

One Penny a Pound and many times that included me loading and unloading the scrap!!!

Last edited:
   / $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #5  
I just found the new cut off pile of steel at my supplier. It seems when they cut steel to a certain length the rest goes to a bargain lot stock section. I bought a 1/8 inch sheet 38 x 73 inches, ( perfect size for my man lift floor ) a 1/8 inch 2' circle, and two 2x4 1/8" wall tubing 15' long for forty cents a pound. The whole order came to 90 dollars plus the governors share. There is more heavier stock than lite in this area so one has to look frequently for sizes you could use in the future.
Shopping for steel cut offs is better than a trip to the mans mall !!

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #6  
I got 2 new cut offs 1/2''x3'x5' for a welding table, same deal as Joe, but .50 cents a pound plus tax.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #7  
The guy across from my drinking joint was buying rounds a couple of months ago, dragging scrap cars 100 miles @ 120 per Ton. Dunno what that works out to, but seems like a fair amount for an old rusty car.!!

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #8  
The guy across from my drinking joint was buying rounds a couple of months ago, dragging scrap cars 100 miles @ 120 per Ton. Dunno what that works out to, but seems like a fair amount for an old rusty car.!!

Thats only 6 cents a pound? Hope he has truck that gets really good gas mileage.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #9  
Yeah I m afraid one day all that scrap may come back over with wings or a T 72 tank. Its awful here lots of nice implements have gone. I used to buy old combines and cotton pickers for 150 each and sell parts and use parts till littl was left but a few chunks of tin. now theyve all gone for 3 cents a pound as they are hard for the yards to handle. A man I know cut up a good Allis Chalmers 260 scraper just off a job got 3500 for it and I had justdays earlier offered 7500. I saw the little yard on the side of the road near work has a nice 3 point disc laying out Im stopping in the morning to get. I make rounds to get all the plow parts I can find for our truck patch.
One yard here I can get their industrial scrap from a roll form plant for 22 to 27 cents a pound as thats what they get for it. Some times I can trade work for it. I got a nice new 10 inch cylinder came in a load I gave 2.50 for it. the pice on it said 45.00. My brother in law and his neighbor came over the other day and look outtowards my shop and offered me to half my scrap for them hauling. I looked at him and said Wheres all that unuseable steel here. I hate to see it all go Ive been looking for a front drivers side axle for my 1 ton Ford.

/ $1.00/ Pound for Scrap Steel :( #10  
Last year a neighbor and I went to three scrap yards that we used to deal with. None of them sell to the public anymore! We may have to waylay some of those guys with trailers full BEFORE they get to the scrap yard!