Rear Cab window

/ Rear Cab window #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I just got my new curtis cab on my 2320...Love the cab except for one thing. The Rear curtain on the back of it is very poor, (loose and floopy)...therefore I want to manufacturer a solid back panel that will stay there year round, thought I might use something like diamond plate aluminum. but would like to have a rear window of some type, that would open, thought maybe a sun roof, or a window out of an rv or van. I have been looking online for windows but don't really find what I want. Does any body have any suggestions for this window. and has somebody done this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I checked the price for the complete rear panel assembly from curtis and they wanted almost $600.00 for all the parts. Kind of pricey. Any information or pictures would be great. I love this website!

/ Rear Cab window #3  
I have the same issue on my Curtis Cab rear panel. The company I work for has a CNC router that is used to cut intricate plastic shapes from 4'x8' sheets. I've been thinking about getting them to program and cut a lexan (plexiglass) panel to replace the flexible one Curtis supplied.

/ Rear Cab window #4  
Lexan. It can be cut, bent, and drilled to fit.

AND, you can make a template from, say plywood. Using a woodworking router or sabre saw,
cut the Lexan. Remenber, use WD-40 to cool the cutter/blade
;)

/ Rear Cab window
Thanks Johnagain, Lexan is nice , but it scratches too easy and gets cloudy over time. I am a shop teacher and teach Plastics Technology, perhaps Polycarbonate would also work (police use it for riot shields) but I am trying to find some type of glass window I can install that would look nice and be able to open in the summer time. I have looked on the internet, but so far nothing has struck my fancy....Thought all you guys out there might have come across some sight....Thanks for the info

/ Rear Cab window #6  
check with your local glass shop. our laurn cab uses tempered glass, with bolt on hindges, and latch. they made a pattern, and sent it away. a week later we had a new window

/ Rear Cab window #7  
FIND A SCRAP YARD THAT SCRAPS OLD SCHOOL BUSSES.

The rear windows make for great tractor windows.
Be sure to get the rubber seal that acts as the retainer.
I made my cab using 2 such windows.

What you do is get a sheet of HD steel 'tin' and cut slightly oversized in order to fold edges of flanges for ridigity. Trace the glass out on the sheet metal stock and cut with a jigsaw slightly bigger than the glass tracing to accomodate the seal.
Installation is easy as you simply wrap a cord around the seal grouve and while keeping pressure on the glass assy you pull on the cord and the rubber seal kinda flips up into place over the metal sheet.
I used galvanized metal as I did not want maintanance issues.
My front and rear windows have stood 10 years of usage without any issues on my home made cab.
In fact my rear window is hinged so that I can prop it open for summer usage and simply held in place with 2 HD sheet metal self tapping screws.
I used self adhesive rubber seal material to insure a tight fit.(also prevents screws from shaking loose)

Windows should be real cheap as the yards really only want metal and not glass as it has no value.

Last edited: