steering wheel spinner knobs

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #1  

ninefinger

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210BD
Of all the pictures of the tractors here I have never seen a spinner knob, hope that is the right name for them. Are they hand/finger breakers or worse? Just not needed or not thought of? I do understand how the steering wheel can spin wildly if a tire catches a rut but for routine mowing it may make turning a bit easier.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #2  
There have been threads you can search for, on spinners.

About half love them and the other half don't.

I love having one on Reelmaster mower, but don't have one on my TLB.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #3  
I had one on my Yanmar that did not have power steering, but the NH with power steering will never get one. No need for it.

But, yes, ruts and dips can play heck on your hands with a spinner knob.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #4  
With the power steering on my JD I find I can just use one finger to spin the wheel so I do not have one. If you don't have power steering they can be knucklebusters or finger breakers though...

And another anomaly with the hydrostatic steering that most CUT's have is that the steering wheel does not stay centered, so the spinner always ends up in a different place.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #5  
I have one on my yanmar and have never busted a knuckle,I find it very useful,especially with a fel.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #7  
Hey Kenny, I have one and always wondered how come it is never in the same spot. Is that really why? hydrostatic steering?:confused:

Yup:D

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #8  
I have driven equipment with and without them. With modern powered steering you don't have the number of turns you do with the manual gear boxes and you can easily just use the heal of your hand to spin the wheel. The suicide knobs are when you need to get a little torque on the wheel, because of the manual steering, and have something like 7 turns lock to lock. I have never had one smack me hard or hurt me in any way.

On my John Deere 2320 I don't need it. If I go back and drive the old Oliver 770 or 77, yes, they are very much needed.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #9  
I have one on my B6200 4 wheel drive without power steering. I love it. Makes it a lot easier to turn the wheel.

/ steering wheel spinner knobs #10  
No way I want a spinner on my little manual steering tractor. It's always in four wheel drive and when a front tire catches the wheel will spin quite quickly and with great force.:D

Remember how one never hooked their thumb over the steering wheel on manual steering four wheel drive trucks.:D