Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #1  

Joshua

Tractor
1964 ford 4000
Hi, I知 new to TBN and with winter break coming up I値l have a month out of class and with all that free time i thought i should come up with a project and i was hoping you folks could help me. My grandfather has an old belt driven buzzsaw, which has served us faithfully for years but the belt, and pulleys are starting to show their age (fall apart). My hope is to update the machine so I can use it for years to come by adding a right angle gearbox and shaft to the pto like in the Vermont woodsman model (sans the 1500$ price tag). I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area or could point me in the right direction for gearboxes and shafts and such, Thank you kindly.

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #2  
Surplus center has lots of stuff lke geaboxes.. etc.

if your pulleys are compressed fiber / paper they can be relined.. and blting cn be ad at farm stores..... might be cheper to just fix than completely re-engineer..

soundguy

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #3  
The 8N Ford had a buzz saw with a gear box, you might try some research along those lines.

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #4  
If you want to do some fabricating an old differential could probably be adapted for a right angle gearbox.:D

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #5  
I was thinking the same as Egon :cool:, but you would have to be careful not to get the saw speed out of wack (watch the gear ratio).

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #6  
Joshua, My brother inlaw did just that to a buzz rig about 25 years ago and is still using it to cut slab wood. He just went to an old farm tractor dealer and checked out hisbone yard to find a right angle gear box, found one for cheap. You will then have to figure out the ratio and get pullies to bump the rpms up to what ever you want the blade to spin at. He used 2 two groove pullies to run from the gear box to the blade shaft. used gear boxs can be had for about $25 around here pullies might cost about $30 ea. and belts under $25 ea. I would think, so for less $150 I think you would be set for a long while, Ken.

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #7  
Our firewood buzzsaw is built from an ancient belt driven beet cutter. All that is still from that machine from the '30s is the table and spindle shaft.

We cut off the wheel of an old Fiat 133 car, complete with hub. The wheel arms are welded to the saw frame so that the tire runs against the original belt pulley.
We welded a splined PTO shaft to a flange, which is bolted inbetween the wheel nuts and the wheel itself.

The pulley is just bare steel and the tire at 1.5 bar inflation has enough grip to drive the saw, but not enough to bust the saw teeth in your face when it jams in an embedded piece of steel in the wood.

Works perfect, and has cost us only welding wire, gas and some cutting disks.
The tire still looks like new, even though it has done quite some miles in the past couple of years.

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion
Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions: D, I知 wrapping up classes now and will be able to really invest some time after this week. Soundguy, yeah the pulleys are fiber and wore out but me managed to weld it up (not a professional fix for certain, but its holding now). I was thinking about using the gearbox off of a rotary cutter, I thought the slip clutch would add a nice level of safety at least for the tractor. Thanks for all the great advice this is my first project of this kind. I must be one of the only kids on earth who look forward to woodcutting; my grandfather is getting old so gathering the wood has become my job, the old belt system worked for him I just want something new and fancy. Stupid me forgot to have it email me when I got a response so i thought i was being ignored for my idea being so 登ut there? Thanks again i appreciate it

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #9  
Belt drives rarely use a slip clutch.. the belt itself should slip..

soundguy

/ Buzzsaw Belt drive to Pto Conversion #10  
john deere m--2 cld--was running fine year ago---got real sick--coundnt use--better now---but dont want to fire--cleaned carb--new gaskets-plugs-points-dist. cap-ingition coil--geting fire to distrubator botton--none to plugs or new rotor button--my grandpa-bought tractor new--then daddy now me--been in fanily 65 years--never used much---got to keep it---anyone got advice--rick