Disc Mower AND Tedder...

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder... #1  

CenTexSlim

Just like everyone else available time & machenery capacity are limiting factors. I know I need to get bigger equipment & will within the next couple of years. In the interest of saving another pass with another tractor I've been thinking... there has to be a way to combine the disc mower & the cutter in one pass.

I have a 3pt mount, 9' disc mower (JF SB 2800). I have a 3 pt mount, 2 basket tedder (also a JF, just don't remember the model #). I have plenty of PTO horse power to push both (JD 6420).

My thoughts are, 3pt mount the mower to the tractor & then 3 pt mount the tedder to the mower... directly behind its 3pt. mount. I will have to figure out a way to attach the tedder's PTO shaft to the disc mower's PTO.

Has anyone done anything similar? Let me know both your ideas & what you see may be potential problems. The first problem that comes to my mind is attaching the tedder PTO to the mower. I don't want to spend so much money on this that the cost outweighs the benifit.

Think on it & share your thoughts.
Thanks, S

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder... #2  
I thought the hay needed to like maybe dry for awhile on the top from the sunlight before you used the tedder? Would you not just be scattering fresh cut? Or is that your idea, not to have it so thick behind the cutter? I haven't used one ...

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder...
We generally ted behind the cutter in the same afternoon. Disc mowers lay a uniform swath & only about the top 1" is benifiting from sunlight, wind, etc. I spread it all out as soon as possible so it all has an even chance at uniform dry down.

Mods, can you move this to the "Build it yourself" Forum?

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder... #5  
Is the tedder ground driven or pto driven?
you could always go with high moisture rapped bales and sale the tedder. you cut in morning bale that afternoon.

The tedder is PTO driven.

My primary market is small squars of horse quality hay (Tifton 85 Bermuda). I'm not really interested in chaning my market. I know there are several other options... just wanting to explore ideas for making two pieces of equipment work together.

Thanks, S

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder... #7  
Okay, I remember the old JD #39 sickle mower I had, the pto shaft seemed to extend out the back and I think had a 21 spline shaft back there... do you suppose on the back of the disc mower, the main drive you could modify that to a PTO shaft to run at the same time ????

Forgot, maybe you can convert the tedder to a pull type, or trade for a pull type that would eliminate the 3 pt to the cutter. A simple drop pin type hitch.

Last edited:
I will need to look closer at the cutter to see how it's driveline terminates. I don't think the shaft extends, but there may be something I can do with adapters or maybe a clutch plate.

I did think about making the 3pt tedder into a pull type... basically a tongue with wheels & a 3pt attachment on it. That may be an option. It would sure cut down on welding arms to the cutter.

/ Disc Mower AND Tedder... #9  
Then a simple drop pin plate on the cutter and your ready to pull it.