LED headlights???

/ LED headlights??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Does anyone know of a source for LED headlights/worklights??

I see JD is selling them now. They say they last 100 times longer than a regular bulb, and they charge roughly 100 times the price!!!!

Thanks,

-Jer.

/ LED headlights??? #2  
Last edited:
   / LED headlights???
your lead led me to another brand called Maxxima, as well as a site called vehiclelight.com that carries really nice heavy duty round light.

The Grote Trilliant is on ebay for $465.00!!!! Wow!!! It does look pretty bombproof though. By the sounds of it I'd likely interupt the local wildlife's sleeping cycles by having them around though!!!

I suppose if they are super tough, and will really last for the life of 10 tractors, it's worth it. At least that's what i'm going to tell myself.....

I was thinking that I would put two rounds on my ROPS to increase the forward/side lighting to see past the FEL, and one biggy (maybe a trilliant) in the middle of the ROPS (hanging under the crossbar) for the rear. Anyone have any opinions on this plan?? Is the trapezoidal pattern the way to go??

-Jer.

/ LED headlights??? #5  
white LEDs have been the last to come on the market mainstream. red, yellow, green, etc. (mostly for traffic signals and stop/turn) have been around longer.

expect white/blue to be more expensive. still not commonly available in 120 volt configuration (for home lighting use) or in sealed beam focused spot configuration in any voltage. about the only place you'll commonly see white is in low voltage flashlights and worklights.

and yes, you pay for the diodes and circuit boards with any LED, so they are more expensive. generally not worth it unless you have a situation that demands low wattage or low heat production (solar home/RV/camping/industrial, etc....)

however, unlike compact flourescents, they actually do live up to their lifespan claims and may be worth it in the long run if you can live long enough to see the payback time....

amp

/ LED headlights??? #6  
your plan sounds good. But as good as the Trilliant sounds (from what ive read online they were quite sucessfull in the Baja races) i couldnt spend that kinda money on one. At near $500 your getting into HID light territory. Ive installed HIDs on equipment before and they are extremely bright and give a good light. Led's would last longer though. Id probably go with the cheaper LED ones front and rear. It probably wont be as bright as the top of the line, but it should be adequate.

The Only LED ones i see on Vehiclelight were floods? Traps might be better for what your doing.

/ LED headlights??? #7  
They will be available at 90% off by the time the warrantee runs out.

/ LED headlights???
your plan sounds good. But as good as the Trilliant sounds (from what ive read online they were quite sucessfull in the Baja races) i couldnt spend that kinda money on one. At near $500 your getting into HID light territory. Ive installed HIDs on equipment before and they are extremely bright and give a good light. Led's would last longer though. Id probably go with the cheaper LED ones front and rear. It probably wont be as bright as the top of the line, but it should be adequate.

The Only LED ones i see on Vehiclelight were floods? Traps might be better for what your doing.

Ya, 500 is a lot....

Maybe I'll do two round traps front, and two round traps back.

-Jer.

/ LED headlights??? #9  
Good luck in your choice. I would probably go with the cheaper grote traps over the truck lites. Grote Leds have always done good for me.Maybe others can comment on the quality of the trucklites

Last edited:
   / LED headlights??? #10  
I have 4 of the 81360 Truck-Lite's, and am very pleased with them. At current time, they only come in a trapezoidal pattern, which for most tractor work is the best pattern, but it also means the lamp assy must be mounted base down to get the correct beam dispersion.