Welder/Generator

/ Welder/Generator #1  

wwalkersd

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, Ford 2N
While we're talking welders (see thread "What kind of welder should I buy?"), what do you guys think of welder/generators? Seems to me like a great way to be able to weld where you don't have power, gives you a generator as a bonus, and lets you move only one piece of equipment around. What are the downsides?

/ Welder/Generator #2  
I have a smaller one hobart champion 4500
I use it more for welding than power
but it is loud!

tom

/ Welder/Generator #3  
A few years ago I needed to upgrade from a 5KW generator to a 10KW unit to run my whole house during outages. I also needed to upgrade my 35 year old Sears buzz box AC welder so I bought a Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, sold my 5KW to one neighbor and gave the buzz box to another. I think its great since I no longer see huge electric bills from my previous welder use and only cost a little for the gas I use plus its portable and I can load it on my trailer and take it to the job at hand.. The only downside I see is that it is loud / noisy when running. That's why I have long cables to get the noise further from me.

/ Welder/Generator #4  
While we're talking welders (see thread "What kind of welder should I buy?"), what do you guys think of welder/generators? Seems to me like a great way to be able to weld where you don't have power, gives you a generator as a bonus, and lets you move only one piece of equipment around. What are the downsides?

High revving engine ?
Unfortunately you need to go to a substantial and expensive diesel to get an 1800 RPM unit and even that is probably not something you want running close to the house for very long.
I don't think inverter designs are yet available in a price range that most of us would find interesting.

/ Welder/Generator #5  
I have a hobart welder with a 10 KW generator output. I think it would take alot of fuel to run it 24 hours a day. If you need that much power that is ok but if you dont you would be better off with a smaller one. They have to run 3600 to put out AC power.....Larry

/ Welder/Generator #6  
Interesting topic - I've been shopping for a 10k gas machine myself. The idea of being able to run the sump pump, furnace, fridge and storage freezer whenever the power quits is one motivation. Also, we have a detached garage/shop that has minimal elctrical service, but it's where I want to do the welding, so not having to upgrade service is a big plus.

Being able to take the welder to the work is another reason I've been considering a welder/genny. It would also free up the tractor, not being run off the PTO. It seems that a good 10k generator, either PTO driven or self powered, plus a separate 225 - 250 amp AC/DC stick welder cost more than the combined rig.

I'm starting to line up a lot of "gee, if I only had a decent stick welder" type of projects, so it's getting to the point where I need to make a decision, soon. Sounds like George has had good luck with his Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, which is one of the models I'm considering. Another is the Lincoln Ranger 10000. Also, there's the Hobart Champion 10000 DC machine, but I'd like to get an AC/DC machine in case I ever want to expand my welding options to include TIG.

-Jim

/ Welder/Generator #7  
I have a hobart welder with a 10 KW generator output. I think it would take alot of fuel to run it 24 hours a day. If you need that much power that is ok but if you dont you would be better off with a smaller one. They have to run 3600 to put out AC power.....Larry

The RV generators run at 1800 rpm and are very quiet but not many are more than 4-5kW. There are diesel units available but pricey.

Vernon

/ Welder/Generator
I have a smaller one hobart champion 4500
I use it more for welding than power
but it is loud!

tom

That's the unit that catches my eye. I'm not looking for the genset to provide backup power for a house, but rather to run some power tools at a site where there's no power.

/ Welder/Generator #9  

If you can afford it.. it sure is a nice combo.. I have a hobart 10kw/welder at work.. nice unit.

soundguy

/ Welder/Generator #10  
I have a Hobart 10K. Got it on sale at TSC. Used the savings to buy a small trailer to mount it on. Works great.