Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3032E, Ford 2N

Default Welder/Generator

While we're talking welders (see thread "What kind of welder should I buy?"), what do you guys think of welder/generators? Seems to me like a great way to be able to weld where you don't have power, gives you a generator as a bonus, and lets you move only one piece of equipment around. What are the downsides?
    Bill Walker, San Marcos (San Diego County), CA
    caretaker of a '14 JD 3032E and a '46 Ford 2N

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Default Re: Welder/Generator

I have a smaller one hobart champion 4500
    I use it more for welding than power
    but it is loud!

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

A few years ago I needed to upgrade from a 5KW generator to a 10KW unit to run my whole house during outages. I also needed to upgrade my 35 year old Sears buzz box AC welder so I bought a Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, sold my 5KW to one neighbor and gave the buzz box to another. I think its great since I no longer see huge electric bills from my previous welder use and only cost a little for the gas I use plus its portable and I can load it on my trailer and take it to the job at hand.. The only downside I see is that it is loud / noisy when running. That's why I have long cables to get the noise further from me.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwalkersd View Post
    While we're talking welders (see thread "What kind of welder should I buy?"), what do you guys think of welder/generators? Seems to me like a great way to be able to weld where you don't have power, gives you a generator as a bonus, and lets you move only one piece of equipment around. What are the downsides?
    High revving engine ?
    Unfortunately you need to go to a substantial and expensive diesel to get an 1800 RPM unit and even that is probably not something you want running close to the house for very long.
    I don't think inverter designs are yet available in a price range that most of us would find interesting.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Iseki 3200F, kubota L245DT

I have a hobart welder with a 10 KW generator output. I think it would take alot of fuel to run it 24 hours a day. If you need that much power that is ok but if you dont you would be better off with a smaller one. They have to run 3600 to put out AC power.....Larry

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Interesting topic - I've been shopping for a 10k gas machine myself. The idea of being able to run the sump pump, furnace, fridge and storage freezer whenever the power quits is one motivation. Also, we have a detached garage/shop that has minimal elctrical service, but it's where I want to do the welding, so not having to upgrade service is a big plus.

Being able to take the welder to the work is another reason I've been considering a welder/genny. It would also free up the tractor, not being run off the PTO. It seems that a good 10k generator, either PTO driven or self powered, plus a separate 225 - 250 amp AC/DC stick welder cost more than the combined rig.

I'm starting to line up a lot of "gee, if I only had a decent stick welder" type of projects, so it's getting to the point where I need to make a decision, soon. Sounds like George has had good luck with his Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, which is one of the models I'm considering. Another is the Lincoln Ranger 10000. Also, there's the Hobart Champion 10000 DC machine, but I'd like to get an AC/DC machine in case I ever want to expand my welding options to include TIG.

-Jim
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader

Quote Originally Posted by mopacman View Post
    I have a hobart welder with a 10 KW generator output. I think it would take alot of fuel to run it 24 hours a day. If you need that much power that is ok but if you dont you would be better off with a smaller one. They have to run 3600 to put out AC power.....Larry
    The RV generators run at 1800 rpm and are very quiet but not many are more than 4-5kW. There are diesel units available but pricey.

Vernon
    Kubota L3130HST, BL4690B backhoe, LA723 Loader w/QA, 6' BB, 6' Bush Hog, 5' RB, PHD, ATI grapple, Hy-Reach Tree Shear, toothbar, pallet forks, grubbin bucket.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3032E, Ford 2N

Quote Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
    I have a smaller one hobart champion 4500
    I use it more for welding than power
    but it is loud!

tom
    That's the unit that catches my eye. I'm not looking for the genset to provide backup power for a house, but rather to run some power tools at a site where there's no power.
    Bill Walker, San Marcos (San Diego County), CA
    caretaker of a '14 JD 3032E and a '46 Ford 2N

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by wwalkersd View Post
    If you can afford it.. it sure is a nice combo.. I have a hobart 10kw/welder at work.. nice unit.

soundguy

Tractor
    Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor

I have a Hobart 10K. Got it on sale at TSC. Used the savings to buy a small trailer to mount it on. Works great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast