Hydraulic swival hitch for PTO rock rake

/ Hydraulic swival hitch for PTO rock rake #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I bought a new old stock 1996 Finn ( ATI manufactured ) power rock rake. The only revision I want to make is it is fixed at 15 degrees to the left by the bolted on hitch assembly. As the mount is welded to the frame I torched the long angle brackets off, ground the base smooth and engineered a base that would include a pivot. If my plan doesn't work the torch is nearby and a second go around will be necessary.
This unit weighs approximately 1000# with the second roller attached. The local steel yard will see me come and go several times.
If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate the feedback. This is an interesting project and has more planning than I imagined. I wish the designer would have made provisions for this at the build date as a fixed one way offset doesn't work real well in both directions on a hillside.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Steel Rack 010.jpg
    Steel Rack 010.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 294
  • ATI Rake hitch 003.jpg
    ATI Rake hitch 003.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 283
   / Hydraulic swival hitch for PTO rock rake
Finished including reinforcements and hydraulic cylinder.

Attachments

• ATI Rake hitch 007.jpg
    ATI Rake hitch 007.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 289
  • ATI Rake hitch 008 (2).jpg
    ATI Rake hitch 008 (2).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 230
   / Hydraulic swival hitch for PTO rock rake #3  
Is the swing cylinder going to be all there is to hold the rake in position? It looks like if you hit something unexpected out near one end or t'other you might overload your brackets? Maybe they're ruggeder than they look like. The rest of the frame looks plenty sturdy...
Jim

Both are welded with gussets from sides and the lower edge. I also made a steel plate with angle pin locations for the rocky areas that may produce alot of strain. First time over undisturbed soil takes alot of horsepower and the rake angle isn't too critical. ( Depending on how deep you go. ) I agree 7' can put alot of strain on the cylinder and mount. The 2" center pin and 3" plus outer jacket should with stand the pressure.

/ Hydraulic swival hitch for PTO rock rake #5  
One thing to watch is if you get too much angle you could twist or snap your pto shaft.

The hydraulic cylinder I am using has an 8" stroke. According to the protractor at the end of each stroke it is at 15 degrees. This angle is what most manufacturers use for the limit of travel.