Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling?

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #1  

ren1pa

Tractor
JD 2320
Does anyone know of a device that would temporarily "lock" the spring loaded portion of the PTO shaft in the retracted position, in order to facilitate sliding the coupler onto the splines? I have nerve damage in the left hand and arm and find it nearly impossible to pull backwards for retracting, while also pushing forward onto the splines.

I have tried several things like welder's vise grips with no success.

Thanks,

ren

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #2  
Can you replace the shaft with the spring loaded pin style? I know that would be an expensive solution, but maybe a dealer would take your spring collar shaft in on trade.
The pin style allows you to line up and start the shaft on the splines, then re-adjust your hands to push in the spring loaded pin with your thumb while pushing the shaft on the spline the rest of the way.

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #3  
The problem you have is not really a problem... I have yet to find a shaft that you have to push the pin or retract the collar before you start the shaft. Give it a try you should be able to start the shaft on the PTO... push it on till it stops, then pull back on the shaft slightly and retract the collar then push on the rest of the way

The distance it will slide on is the distance from the start of the coupler to the balls or pin usually a inch. It will slide on until the balls or pin touch the end of the pto shaft.

Give it a try:)

Jeff

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #4  
I think the problem is having to pull back on the coupler while pushing on the shaft. It's doing those two motions at once seems to be the problem.

On those with the pin type, we have used vise-grips to keep the pin pushed in to allow us to just push the shaft on the splines.

Some pto shafts may have a locking coupler. You may check your dealer to see if they have something to accomodate your needs.

I know on our 14' Bush Hog shredder it has 2 of the pin-type with springs and a double u-jointed shaft and is a bear to put on without pinching your hands so I feel your pain.

BTW, on those with the spring-loaded pins, I have drilled those out and put a straight bolt through them. It's more work hooking up, but less work if you have problems in the first place.

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #5  
This vexes many of us ...

On the retractable kind, it should be possible to hold it fully retracted with, say, a gear puller, and then drill a pilot hole into which a pin could temporarily be inserted (as you do with some routers, etc.) ...if the outer and inner parts rotate with respect to one another, you might have to put indexing marks on them to line them up easily.

On the pin kind, vise grips do work, but may be awkward. The pin type is, in some ways easier anyway. Ideally, the pin would be longer with a detent slot and the ability to push it in and shift it sideways so the detent caught.

In either case, you would have to remember to disengage.

There are PTO extenders that would probably allow you to convert easily from retractable to pin. Here is one Speeco/Farmex 03028 PTO Extender w/ Quick Release 21 Spline 1000 RPM: 1-3/8"x21 (F) to 1-3/8"x21 (M) which would be amenable to the vise grip thing

However, as I was learning the hard way, the real problem turns out to be the fact that you must have the implement raised (and centered left-to-right) so that the two pto shafts (tractor and implement) are "co-axial" ...that is they line up perfectly ...that and a well lubed tractor shaft make all the difference.

The other thing I found (my tractor is an HST w. a live pto) is that the tractor must be off to allow its pto shaft to turn ...surprise! Of course, it is safe practice to have the tractor off when coupling (I don't need to hear from the safety police) but the tractor needs to be on until you get the alignment just right.

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling?
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be measuring the spline shaft as well as looking up the rpm specs and probably try the Speedco adapter mentioned in the most recent reply. Again, a big thank you for all the good ideas.
ren

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #7  
I agree with Smitty.. the collar should slide on -some- before needing to retract the retaining balls.

Keeping the coupler and shaft clean and de-bured will facilitate easier sliding.

soundguy

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #8  
Due to dust and grime accumulations whenever I needed to couple the PTO I also had problems.

My solution is to flush-rinse the shaft and coupler using WD40.
Being pressurized it does an admirable job of disolving dry gritty grease and blowing it clean.
Also is just enough lube to slip the coupler on easily.
Does not consume enough product to worry about cost factor.

I learned this trick when coupling my hydraulic 'quick connects' on my snow plow.

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #9  
I also use wd-40 to clean my male and femal QD's before mating.. cheap and won't hurt the orings.. and keeps dirt out of the system.. whatever lil bit that sneaks past the covers and caps.

soundguy

/ Any ideas for an easier way to attach PTO coupling? #10  
I give the PTO shaft a quick wipe off with a shop towel then spray on some WD-40 or other lubricant. I also give the implement shaft a quick shot of lube where it goes on the PTO shaft.