Wiring work lights

/ Wiring work lights #1  

millwrightdude

Silver Member
I would like to add some lights to my Case Ih C50 tractor. I have the lights and a factory style switch. How do I wire it into the fuse box. Or is there another way to do it. I would like a clean look.

/ Wiring work lights #2  
Wiring lights has been covered several times on here. Do a search on the here and you will be happy with all of the creative systems these folks have come up with.

/ Wiring work lights
I have been reading and reading. I just dont know if I need to add relays or not. If I do how do I do that?

/ Wiring work lights #5  
Relays are not 100% necessary. They generally allow you to run a lighter awg wire to the switch and rather than feed the rated current (amps) through the switch, they allow you to use a "signal" current to switch the relay.

Think of a relay as a switch and the switch connected to it as a trigger, either on or off. Relays can fire off a + input or - input via the remote switch. You'd only need to bring a small wire or pair to the switch vs. bringing the whole lighting circuit to it and then through it to the lights downstream.

IF you're using a high amp draw, the benefit is isolating the load from the switch and sometimes making wiring slightly easier by making it more complex, if that makes sense.

/ Wiring work lights
Yes that makes sense. I want to add 2 lights on one switch. I have the factory switches. I just was not sure it was necessary to add the relays.

/ Wiring work lights #7  
Yes that makes sense. I want to add 2 lights on one switch. I have the factory switches. I just was not sure it was necessary to add the relays.

The ignition switch is typically not designed to carry a high amperage load. A relay allows you to run a high amperage load which will be killed when the ignition is turned off. In other words, it allows you to have the light switch overridden by the ignition so that the lights cannot be turned on unless the tractor is on. It also allows you to use a lower amperage switch for the lights.

/ Wiring work lights #8  
I used relays and your wiring diagram will work. It just needs power from the ignition switch or from the battery to the fuse panel serving the switches.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - Lights, Camer...#

As others have stated above, switches are generally used as low current triggers, letting the relay carry the heavier load.

/ Wiring work lights #9  
I used a relay to feel a small terminal board so I could add additional lights later vs the two I have now. I have a switch feed by a small guage wire near the seat that runs the relay. Large wire from battery feeds power to relay. I then ran from the terminal to the lights.

/ Wiring work lights #10  
Just an idea for a temporary work light for emergency work. bolt a magnet to the base of a light and give yourself some 12 or so feet of wire with an aligator clip. the magnet will work for ground and the clip to a power source on the rig. Having a good spotlight to place anywhere you need it can be a lifesaver.