Logging Hitch

/ Logging Hitch #21  
Here are some more pics of the hitch in action. Full size trees get skidded out and the tops are taken out in log length in the trailer. Also a pic of Boomer enjoying the fruits of my wood cutting labor.
Teach

That is a real nice setup, glad to see some pics. with it at work.

I know what i will be building.

Thanks for the pictures.

Good Mornin Teach,
Very nicely done ! That thing looks like it would work great ! Good idea on notching out the larger logs for the chain.

BTW your missing a lynch pin on your lower arm !

Good evening Scott,

Great eyes you have, i had to go back and look again.

/ Logging Hitch #22  
I see a problem with your logging hitch.
The chain attachments are high up. If you pull from an angle you will flip the tractor. I know you need them high to keep logs from catching, but you will flip your tractor if you turn and pull from an angle.

/ Logging Hitch
Knight,
While I appreciate your concern, and I have given that some thought, I actually designed mine from the Farmi-type winch set ups. I have been using my hitch for over a week now. and it works perfectly. In fact, I couldn't be happier with it! It lets me lift up the logs high enough to clear the butts consistenly, as apposed to using a drawbar. This in turn allows me to drag more weight and keep more of the tree out of the dirt. Also, you will notice that I have two hooks DOWN LOW that I use to move logs that might be suspect. With my 21 hsp, hydro. b7500 w/ FEL, the only way my tractor will flip is on a steep side-grade (which I should not be driving on anyway). IF I had a gear shift tractor, I might agree, by not with my hydro tranny and all the weight I have up front. If the angle of the pull is too sharp, usually I can't pull the tree anyway.
Teach

Last edited:
   / Logging Hitch #25  
I wasn't trying to put down your hitch. It just reminded me of when I was pulling a log from a high hitch point. I pulled and turned the tractor to the side, the tractor started to tip over. I caught it, but it happened very quickly. Just think about what your doing all the time. I'm sure you know to always pull down low when you can.

/ Logging Hitch
Like I said, I appreciate your concern and I'm always willing to listen to fellow TBN users. Any ideas are always welcome!
Teach

/ Logging Hitch #27  
I have the same winch. Is it normal for the motor to run-stop-run as your pulling?
Also I put a hitch on the front and back of tractor incase I get her stuck in the mud.
I also have a set-up for snowmobile incase I get the sled stuck. I just put a longer, heavier gauge cord with alligator clips so it can be used with any battery.

/ Logging Hitch
Knight,
I only tried my winch once, and yes, it stopped and started like yours too. I tried to pull a tree that fell halfway to the ground and became hung up in another tree. It was a medium sized oak, maybe 14" at the butt. I used the winch to try to pull the butt out to fall the tree from a safe distance, but it didn't budge with the winch. So I pulled it with my B7500, no problem. I haven't tried the winch to pull out the tractor or any other logs, but I'm not overly impressed with it so far, you get what you pay for. I'm sure it would be fine for an atv or sled (especially since that is what it is designed for!). The way we set it up is fine, its just underpowered and I'm not sure that I could have fit a much larger winch between my logging hitch and by lower arms on the 3 pt hitch. We bolted it to a plate that is welded to a 2" piece of male receiver tube to insert it into the bottom of the logging hitch (thought it best to keep it down low), or any 2" hitch. I would love a PTO winch, but they are either out of my budget (Farmi-types) or giant dinosaurs for my size tractor.
Teach

/ Logging Hitch #29  
With these little winches I always have a snatch block on them to double the pulling power. My ATV has a 3000 lb Superwinch on it and it is pretty anemic as well when you get a 750 lb machine stuck:eek:. The doubling really helps -- and the block is a cheap solution.
regards

/ Logging Hitch
Studor,
I agree in principal, and I already have one mounted above the winch on the other side of the logging hitch. In the previous pics, the block hangs from the ring on the upsidedown hook at the top/center of the logging hitch.
Teach