Logging Hitch

/ Logging Hitch #1  

teach

Silver Member
After viewing several threads about logging, I came up with this idea. My buddy who is getting pretty good at welding, heped me create this logging hitch. I have a B7500 w/FEL and as a property manager for a 200 acre parcel, I get to use it to carry out the forestry plan. This logging hitch works great! We used it this weekend for the first time. I just back up to the logs, hitch up the chain, lift up the 3 pt hitch, and off I go! We also set it up so I can put a 3000# electric winch on the back of the reciever hitch, between the tractor and the logging hitch frame (haven't tried it yet though). We started with a set of 3 pt forks, then cut off the forks, then started welding! The hitch is multi-functional, it serves to skid trees, it has a trailer hitch, and we cut some new angle forks to put in the 2" receiver slots in both bottom corners so I still have forklift capability.

/ Logging Hitch #2  
We need a picture. Sounds great.

Chris

/ Logging Hitch
Pics, tried posting them the first time, it didn't work. Let's try again. There are four hooks across the top of the hitch, which is two pieces of 2" angle welded together to make a piece of 2" tubing. The big middle hook that is upside down is to hold the pully block for the winch, which will mount down low, in the back of the receiver hitch. Depending on the size of the trees, I probably can't drag more than two or three trees, but I can drag some decent size trees out, the drag is about 1/4 mile. Some of the oaks are just too big to lift and drag, and my buddy drags them out with his 68 horse Bota with an actual logging winch. My setup however, costed me less than $200, his cost a couple thousand (I do realize we are not comparing apples to apples). Now we are looking for another Bota project to weld up! Any ideas?
teach

Attachments

• Boo, tractor, Sculco's 009.jpg
    Boo, tractor, Sculco's 009.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Boo, tractor, Sculco's 013.jpg
    Boo, tractor, Sculco's 013.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Boo, tractor, Sculco's 018.jpg
    Boo, tractor, Sculco's 018.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Boo, tractor, Sculco's 026.jpg
    Boo, tractor, Sculco's 026.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 1,547
   / Logging Hitch #4  
Congrats on a nice looking job for a modest cost.

For newbies here that don't know it, always insert the chain UNDER the log or object first and then wrap the end back over the log (or bumper or whatever) and THEN hook the clevis to the chain. A snapped or slipped chain under tension will then recoil into the ground and not up and directly back into the tractor operator's face.

Before someone clued me in I took my truck back window out years ago. Kept finding glass until the day I sold it. Just my two cents.

/ Logging Hitch #5  
Very nice.:D

I saved a picture of it as I have to build one this spring.:D

/ Logging Hitch #6  
Very nice setup.

Thanks for sharing.

/ Logging Hitch #7  
All of the commercial ones have an expanded metal shield which catches the hook and wire rope from the electric winch after it slips off a log and comes flying at your head.

You could consider making one of those for your next project...

/ Logging Hitch
CurlyDave,
Good idea, but I won't need it. My winch won't be operated from the seat, it has a wireless remote, which I will use from a save distance off to one side. Also, my winch (if it works out, as I haven't tried it yet) will only be used to pull trees up to the tractor from a short distance away so I can line up the butts without moving the tractor around so much. I won't use the winch cable to skid the trees out with, I use the short chains in the top hooks for that. That being said, even if the winch doesn't work out, this set up was well worth the time. I spent about 6 hours today cutting and skidding and it works like a charm. I can get three decent size red oak butts up about 12" off the ground to drag them out. Tomorrow I'll use the tow hitch on it to tow a woods trailer in to get the log-length tops. I love school vacations!
Teach

/ Logging Hitch #9  
just curious, what is the make, model etc for the wireless winch?

I saw one at the store who shall be nameless..
2K of load and small....

Later,

J

/ Logging Hitch #10  
Look closely at the box in the first picture :D:D-- Chicago (harbour freight) 3000 lb wireless winch. I have that winch on a receiver mount and plug it in using a heavy duty lighter socket. So far it works fine -- the only annoying feature is that it does not immediately stop -- the drum continues to wind about 6" of cable. Nice to be able to stay out of the way though:eek: