Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
HTML:
I thought I would share with who ever is interested in putting in an interior dome light in their B3030 It's kind of a long post so only read it if your interested in putting a light in your cab.

First of all Don't be AFRAID of taking down the headliner, it is easier then changing the oil.

Tools needed,
Phillips screwdriver
10 mm socket.

With the phillips screwdriver push the center of the plastic rivets in just slightly 1/16 of an inch and remove each rivet.
Next remove the four bolts up by the windshield with the 10 mm socket.
Remove the two phillips screws at the frame of the heater control and remove the frame, pull off the heater control lever caps.

You DO NOT have to remove either the front or rear vents just the cap on the fresh air lever it has one phillips screw holding it on.
Now all the rivets are out, the screws at the heater control are out, and the four bolts up front are out.
The last items to be removed are the two side air vents just pull them straight out with your hands, drop down the headliner, time 5 mins or less. If you have a radio you would have to remove that also. When putting it back up just sit in the seat raise up the headliner and put the two side vents in to hold it up while you install the rivets and bolts.
Very very easy job.

I ran a FUSED power wire from the starter solenoid fallowed up the a/c hoses up the front left pillar across the roof and stopped at the left rear pillar. I removed the metal covers on the left side of the cab where the a/c hoses are and the left side pillar all with just a phillips screwdriver, easy.

I got the dome light from a late model Ford Expedition. It's the only light I found that mounted outside of the headliner but still had to cut two holes in the liner for clearance. I'm sorry I didn't get the year of the Ford , I picked it up used at the junk yard and at the time it didn't matter to me.
I really like this light because of the two spot lights in it. When the spot lights are on they shine only a beam of light down on the floor, on the dash, and out both doors on the ground, and not on me, the center light when on shines down and lights up me and the rest of the cab. The truck that the light came out of is wider then my tractor so shining out the door is a good thing, it lights up the ground and the step out side of the tractor.
The first light I installed I put a master on/off switch on it as shown in the first picture, that was when I was going to put door switches on the doors so when open the lights turned on, and I wanted to be able to shut the light off completely.So the third switch was necessary.
After thinking when I would use the light I realize I didn't need the switches on the doors, I would always have to reach in to turn the master switch on so way bother. I will turn the light on when needed by the switches on the light . I mention this because the light with the third switch is shown in another post. So I scrapped that light with the extra unneeded switch and used another light with just the two factory switches.
I rewired the stock Ford switches on the next dome light so that one switch would light both spots and the other switch would light only the center light so I can have on all three , two spots or one in the center.
Once the dome light was bolted up I epoxied the nuts on the back side of the headliner so the light can be installed and removed when the headliner is up. The power wires also are attached to the nuts above the headliner so when the light is bolted up positive and ground contacts are made.
I know it's dark in the cab and some B3030 owners might want a light so go ahead and put one in your cab , it's not a hard job to do and you will love this light with the spot option.

231653763_o.jpg

231653746_o.jpg

231653677_o.jpg

231653652_o.jpg

231659656_o.jpg

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #2  
Thank you; great idea rewiring the switch. Which epoxy did you use. Fast set OK?

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030
Thank you; great idea rewiring the switch. Which epoxy did you use. Fast set OK?

forester2
I feel bad you had to read this whole dragged out post. I probably shouldn't of posted it that way. Can't change it now.
Thanks for your interest.

The only epoxy I ever use is called Plastic Welder by Devcon it's made by others too. I used it for over twenty years, never a problem, it sticks to everything and 20 minutes ready for use.
I don't know why they call it plastic welder, it's not just for plastic.
I think that name limits sales of the epoxy. Other epoxy's that I have used run while setting. and take forever to dry.
I used stainless steel 8/32 screws and nuts only because I already had them.
Brass hardware will work. I put a crimp on wire eyelet under the nut before epoxying for the two power contacts, I built up the epoxy around the nuts. Good luck installing your light. Let me know if you have any other questions.

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #4  
Wax,

You can file this under "truth is stranger than fiction" if you will . . .

Just back from Sunday River tonight and had to run out to take a pick of the truck's headliner - Light was scavenged from Robertson's Auto salvage in Wareham, Ma - can't recall the model - great minds as they say if I could be so bold . . .

Dave

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #5  
Oops,

Forgot to resize the pics . . Here they are.

Attachments

• DSC03457 (Small).JPG
    DSC03457 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC03458 (Small).JPG
    DSC03458 (Small).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Dan The Man 180 (Small).JPG
    Dan The Man 180 (Small).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Dan The Man 217 (Small).JPG
    Dan The Man 217 (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 123
Wax,

You can file this under "truth is stranger than fiction" if you will . . .

Just back from Sunday River tonight and had to run out to take a pick of the truck's headliner - Light was scavenged from Robertson's Auto salvage in Wareham, Ma - can't recall the model - great minds as they say if I could be so bold . . .
Dave
Hey Man where have you been, Don't tell me there's more to life then Tractor by net. You going to have to translate your post or are you just trying to make it as hard to follow,
Ok I see the pictures now wasn't there a min ago, You went skiing, life is good,
you copied my light? How did you put it in without my instructions?
Don't even tell me you picked up the same light as me the same time I did.

Last edited:
   / Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #7  
No payback due my friend, always enjoy your posts - have been skiing since last Sunday at the River, & back tonight. I scrounged an entire salvage yard for that light, and was the only one I liked - you know why. As you might imagine, my truck gets the same treatment as the tractor; trip batteries, sine wave inverter, etc. - if I listed it all they'd kill this post. Good to be back - Hung with the teens as long as I could, but the 12" of powder we got on Thursday gave the kids an edge on the old man.

Dave

PS: Bought mine first, & installed it the same way I thought you were going to.

PPS: Life is good, legs are old.

Attachments

• DSC02289.jpg
    DSC02289.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 135
Oh wow stunning picture, where is that? Great shot.

/ Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #9  
Jackson Hole Wax, February vacation last year. Did Grand Targhee for a couple days also while we were there - Grand Tetons. Coming from New England, everything out there is on such a grander scale - makes our mountains look like little hills. Also got something like 450" of snow that year - Now that's quality tractor time!! First year the little darlins kicked the old man's butt - thought I had the edge bein an old powder skier - silly me, oh well, they were gonna catch me sooner or later.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC02157.jpg
    DSC02157.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 135
   / Installing a dome light in the headliner of the B3030 #10  
I have looked at that exact lamp assy myself, as well as the similar one from an F-SuperDuty. Bought a flat, flush fit LED powered by 2 AA batts that has a automatic 15 min cutoff, but the beam is too concentrated; center of headliner = a 12" circle on floor. Local wrecking yard has several similar lamps, but all the trucks have a tan/beige interior; no gray. The Ranger up level trims use a lamp shaped like that one, but it uses a lens that covers all the way to the headliner, no trim bezel. I'm not sure if it requires a larger hole/more backspace or not though. Those installs look factory, and would work better than what Kubota most likely would have installed if they had installed one, most Japanese cars and trucks have some of the wimpiest interior lighting around, even some of the high end models.