Ladder grabber

/ Ladder grabber #1  

BigfishTX

Tractor
John Deere 4500 4wd with 43HP Yanmar Diesel, Craftsman 4500 lawn tractor, Kawasaki Mule 2510 4wd ATV
Hey everyone! Although I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a year, this is my first post. The insight given by everyone is extremely helpful. I am wondering if anyone has used (or built) a kind of ladder hook to attach an extension ladder to my FEL. I often need to trim trees, or climb ladders around the property and thought that a device to attach a ladder to the tractor might be the ticket. Also, is there some kind of remote control available (for while I'm in the bucket or on the ladder). Or, maybe this is a really dumb idea. Any thoughts? Thanks!

/ Ladder grabber #2  
Welcome, I dont have any helpfull advice, as usuall. but if you do get the ladder on your bucket, resist the urge to tie a running chain saw on the end of it. (as seen on a TBN thread):eek:

Really thou, Im guessing you want to lift the ladder with the tractor for a little extra height?

/ Ladder grabber #3  
I don't know of any ladder grabber, or remote control. Two of us working tegether have installed rain gutters and pruned trees with one standing in the front end loader bucket and the other operating the tractor, but what you describe sounds even more exciting and dangerous.:D

But welcome to Tractorbynet.

/ Ladder grabber #4  
I would never use an extension ladder to prune trees. You are asking for trouble, followed by medical expenses. You would be better served with a tall, aluminum orchard ladder, sitting on solid ground.

/ Ladder grabber #5  
Once I buy a tractor with an FEL...one of the things I hope to fabricate is a working platform (scaffold) to fit on the bucket...

/ Ladder grabber #6  
Hey everyone! Although I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a year, this is my first post. The insight given by everyone is extremely helpful. I am wondering if anyone has used (or built) a kind of ladder hook to attach an extension ladder to my FEL. I often need to trim trees, or climb ladders around the property and thought that a device to attach a ladder to the tractor might be the ticket. Also, is there some kind of remote control available (for while I'm in the bucket or on the ladder). Or, maybe this is a really dumb idea or not . Any thoughts? Thanks!
don't sound safe

/ Ladder grabber #7  
I have seen and heard of many home made contraptions.
Personally I would use caution on this as I think it is a problem waiting to happen.

200 lb in the bucket straight up in the air is one thing.. BUT 200 lbs in that bucket that is live weight and moving is worse..
Put an extension ladder or a platform and you get a fulcrum effect and the weight is a multiple of the actual weight.

With that said, I think I would look for a pruning saw or pole made to extend...

Later,
J

/ Ladder grabber #9  
An older farmer around here "use to" to do just about what you describe, I say use to because he is no longer around to talk about it. He was in the barn and standing in the fel bucket running it with to ropes to raise it up to put some things in the rafters to store them and pulled the wrong rope..... they found him pinned to the rafters a few hours later. not a pretty scene. his son cut the fel up with acc torch and junked the tractor. Don't give the little missus a reason to cut your tractor up! Ken