Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #1  

KenKubota

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B26
Review of my new Sims/Cab Depot cab for my Kubota B26
I致e just completed assembling and installing a cab I purchased on-line and I thought it might be beneficial to other members if I shared my experience and opinion about this product. Overall, I would Grade the design a D and the instructions a C-. I took notes and pictures during the installation after it quickly became clear to me just how big a mistake my purchase was. I want to share the specifics of the flaws I encountered that will definitely affect other B26 owners and perhaps purchasers of other Sims Cabs as well. I should point out that I consider myself fairly handy and have a complete shop full of tools. The basic instructions are condensed into 7 pages and fewer than 20 steps. This was accomplished by simply leaving out critical steps and explanations. Following are the problems I found with the instructions:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]There is no listing of parts with descriptions referenced to photos of drawings of the part so you can determine easily if you have everything you should. Thus for example, when the instructions call for the 塗eader extension you have to take an educated guess as to what that is. (The photo of it being installed on page 9 shows it with a different shape).
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Step 4 in the instructions call for 兎ight 5/16 x 18 1,1/2 bolts these were not supplied, instead all the bolts are セ in length.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The photo on page 4 shows bolts to hold the cowl to the tractor in front of the floor, the only direct connection between this part and the tractor. In reality there is no way to make this connection. The company rep said they decided not to have that attachment.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The photo in step 8 shows the rear fender of the tractor covered in many pieces of masking tape. There is no explanation of why and in fact this photo has nothing to do with the installation at all.
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Step 13 says to remove the rear work lights to add the backhoe extension, but fails to say how or where to re-install them or that additional wiring will be required.
The Design Flaws I encountered:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]First and most important, I ordered the backhoe extension so that I could use the backhoe while enclosed in the cab. The B26 is a TLB and switching between backhoe and rear implement use with no cab is a 15 minute operation requiring no tools. If you put the Sims backhoe extension on you will spend at least an hour with help and tools converting back and forth. Here is what you have to do to go from backhoe to tractor implement use:
a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Unbolt the lower rear cab panel from the backhoe foot guard.
b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Remove the rear work lights, their brackets and wiring.
c.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Remove the side curtains and bottom curtain from the backhoe extension.
d.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Unbolt the ten bolts holding the rear extension panels. (You will need a partner to hold two locknuts inside the cab while you unbolt from the outside).
e.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Unbolt the rear header extension from the rear header and side panels.
f.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Unbolt the rear lower panel from the rear upper panel
g.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bolt the rear upper panel to the rear of the tractor and side panels (get your partner to hold your nuts again) (hey, that doesn稚 sound good).
h.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Install the curtain around the bottom of the rear panel and under the seat.
i.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Re-install the rear work light brackets and lights.
After I saw what was involved I requested to return the back backhoe extension on the grounds that it is completely unsuited for the tractor. Sim痴 agreed to take it back for a refund less a 25% 途estocking fee? and of course I paid the freight both ways. The rep from Sims claimed that I am the 登ne and only person who has complained?
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The cab includes two flat floor panels that go over a portion of the rubber floor of the tractor. These have no surface protection and will soon be paint free and rusted. They also make it impossible to sweep dirt out the door of the tractor; it just goes under the floor plates.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The front of the Cab consists of two panels, an upper and lower that are bolted together. The seam between them is perfect for water and dirt to penetrate. I sealed it with black silicone but found the inside still wet because:
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The front window gasket has a seam right in the middle of the bottom, where water is best able to penetrate and it does.
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The rear side safety and signal lights must be removed from the ROPS during installation. The holes in the cab sides where they are supposed to be re-installed are larger than they should be so additional washers are required.
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Installing the side panels requires removal of four bolts from each of the tractor痴 fenders. Two of these bolts are then used to hold the side panel on. The other two are covered and cannot be replaced, even if you want to drill new holes for them.
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The rear header is attached to the ROPS in the area where the wires for the side signal lights and rear work lights run. It is very difficult to re-route the wires and secure the header without straining or pinching these wires. The header appears to have a cut-out at one end to accommodate the wire harness, but it is at the wrong end from where the wires actually are.
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The door catch is a metal stud that protrudes about 2 inches into the door opening; it is very difficult to go through either door without catching something on this stud, particularly since the door opening is narrowed by the cab.

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #2  
Sorry to hear that KenKubota I would feel the same for I have no patience for stuff like that ! Guess I'm glad now I had mine installed by the dealer on my B2630 and enjoy it very much . I have to admit the mechanic made comments similar to yours even after installing quite a few before.

Only complaint with the cab is if not so expensive would get the steel doors . Also with the heater fan, aux fan and extra lites will have to add a bigger alternator wich the dealer forgot to tell me of course . The cab itself to me is good but sure glad I didn't install it myself ! Hope everything works out for you !!!

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #3  
Ya know this is one problem I wish I could have..
I have not seen any cabs for the L3400/L2800...

has anyone else?

thanks,
J

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #4  
Wait-- I did a search-- and there was a thread about this I read and forgot about...
J

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #5  
When I had a JD 790, Sims was about the only option for it. Curtis discontinued 790 cabs and all internet searches turned up zero alternatives.
With shipping & tax, I couldn't bring myself to pay over $3,000 for a cab with no heater, no rear wiper/defrost and vinyl doors.
Although it was more money in the short haul, I bit the bullet and traded the JD in on a Kubota B3030 HSDC. That factory, all glass cab with heat/AC/front-rear wipers with defrost will be more warm and quiet in the winters and will always be a substantial value increaser for the tractor.

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #6  
I admit that my Sims cab is not anywhere near a factory cab, for what it is I think it works just fine. My dealer installed it and didn't have any complaints. I do wish there was more support up high since after years of use it tends to rock back and forth with large bumps. I made a temporary support that goes from the top of the ROPS to the cab and it stopped the rocking.

After 3-1/2 years and over 350hrs of working on very rough terrain my Sims cab has held up very well. I can easily remove the door and side for summer work and the heater is almost too much for the small area. The wipers on both front and rear work great and I have not even replaced the wiper blades yet. I am happy with it and glad I got it as an option. It was less than $2k when I got mine in 2005 which made it a no-brainer but at almost $4k today I would think twice about getting it.

To tell people to "Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot" is just an opinion and poorly worded, if you are not mechanically inclined enough to figure out little problems like that then have someone else install it. :rolleyes:

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #7  
I concur.

I bought a heater for my JD240 Skid Steer from Sims Cab Depot and there was no way it was going to fit. I tried everything, but the problem was the heater was far too big for the cab. It apparently was to tuck in between your legs but that's where the washer fluid container sits. After working with their tech staff, they said to send the entire kit back for a refund.

The company is now saying all sales are final, so I'm out almost $400 dollars.

The company owner (at least she said she owned the company), wouldn't even give me her full name, just her first (Sharon).

I would not deal with this company at all unless you are certain the product will fit properly. Even then there must be competitors that treat their customers better than this.

Very shoddy outfit.

/ Stay away from Sims/Cab Depot #8  
I previously owned a Kubota B1700HST with a soft side Sims cab. I did not install it myself, it was already on when I purchased the tractor. I though it was OK at least much better than no cab.
Last year I upgraded to a Kioti CK25HST and it also had a Sims cab already installed. I was totally disappointed in this cab. The doors did not fit or close properly, the cab was floor mounted and the whole cab would jump around violently and almost take the floor off with it in the process plus I could not see anything around me due to the sheet metal panel design and small rubber mounted windows. I saved the door latches, heater, roof panel and one wiper motor and started from scratch to build a whole new cab. This one is rubber mounted to solid parts of the tractor, does not move at all during operation of the tractor and I can see what am doing. Best of all the doors fit and no water enters the cab.
The Sims cab is the black one.
I know building a cab is not for everyone but its not hard to improve on the Sims cab but then again it's not easy for a manufacturer to make a good cab for just a couple thousand bucks. That's why the good one cost $7,000.00.

Attachments

• Kioti old cab side.JPG
    Kioti old cab side.JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 4,128
  • New cab 3.JPG
    New cab 3.JPG
    821.5 KB · Views: 3,435
  • New cab 6.JPG
    New cab 6.JPG
    825.5 KB · Views: 2,243
  • New cab 8.JPG
    New cab 8.JPG