Another Chain Box/Tool Box

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Thought I'd share this chain/tool box addition.
After installing one of Larry's ammo boxes on Loretta's Jinma, I had to install the other one on my Kama. Mounting it low on her tractor, and using it several times already, it was really easy to get chains in and out of these dual lid ammo boxes. The low mounting makes it so easy to get the chains back INTO the box. No more lifting them way up high into my old wooden chain box.

Some of you may have already seen Loretta's chain box?
I posted photos of the installation in another thread. Open the bottom lid and the chains drop out. Mine work the same way (of course).
Hers are the first set of photos and mine are the second set.
Rob-

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box
Here are details of the mount I made.
You saw the 3/8" x 2" steel I used on Loretta's mounting bracket and the one 1/2-13 SHCS (Allen bolt) that clamps the ammo box tightly. Well, I used the same design to do mine. Except I had no more solid 3/8" x 2" on hand. So I used the scrap pieces of 3/8" steel remnants from when I made the thumb for my backhoe. I ground the sharp edges off the partial holes and welded them together to make the long strap. I used the same single SHCS to clamp the ammo box. The mounts to the tractor fel tower were a little different because they are shaped differently on my Koyker loader.
Anyway, here is what the mounting bracket looks like. It came out really strong.
Rob-

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #3  
Good idea. But then, all of your ideas are good. Don't stop sharing and thanks again.

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #4  
Excellent ideas and fabrication work. :D I would have copied your idea, except my tires width is the same as the fel. I see that you would have no problem since the box looks like its at the same width as out side of your tires so that makes a very neat appearance. (can you tell i am already jealous ;)) :D Again - nice work !

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #5  
Very good idea. The feature I like the best is how the chains can drop out the bottom. Nice job!

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #6  
Is there a link where I can order the boxes? Or do you have the secret hookup? :)

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #7  
I love the "MRS 3RRL" stenciled on Loretta's chain box! Not there was any question before about whose tractor it was, but it's sure in no doubt now! Fabulous work as usual, Rob!

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #8  
Nice mounting system Rob, almost as good as mine ;)

My memory is still pretty good so I didn't stencil mine to know what was stored in there J/K

No doubt you must know I'm super pleased to see you made good use of those ammo boxes I gave you, like what, two years ago? :rolleyes: I think up until recently you stored live ammo in them at south camp :D

Those boxes are not going anywhere. You will be very happy with them as they will stand up to the test of time. I say that because mine have been in use for over 4 years now. Man your desperately low on steel. What are you going to use next? Drill and mill shavings that been welded together? HaHaHa. I think it's time to round up some scrap or rems from somewhere. Got any land fills, junk or scrap yards around there to scrounge around in?

What a great addition to your fleet of his and hers tractors. :cool:

Larry

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments!
Not only do I love that the chains fall out the bottom, but putting them back in is super easy now. The mounting bracket is all thick steel so it is very very strong. If you're going to make a bracket, I strongly suggest you use the one bolt clamping flange. It is very simple yet strong.

Thanks again for those ammo boxes Larry. They truly are very neat.
Yes, I'm running out of steel except I still have some set aside for other projects. There is still alot of steel on Fergie that I can use. It's an old Ferguson tractor that came with a top mounted sickle bar mower for orchards. I got it free as a scrap tractor. I am very frugal and have saved scrap for years... even little bitty pieces that I use for spacers or what not. I always try to recycle my scraps form one project and turn them into another useful item.
(lol ... Chips are a last resort :D)

My buddy Paul on another forum found some ammo boxes like these.
Here's a link to them: 25MM Ammo Box
He said sometimes they're available here so contact them for this specific 25MM one: Other Ammo Boxes

/ Another Chain Box/Tool Box #10  
Is that a gold tractor???? If yes, first gold one I've ever seen!