Weight box for box blade

/ Weight box for box blade #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I have a Woods 72" box blade which works great with one exception. When I put the ripper teeth down there isn't enough weight to keep the teeth in the ground. I was thinking about a 2' x 2' steel detachable box mounted in the center to give it the extra incentive to stay where it is needed. Also when trying to use the box blade to move rocks it usually rides up and the rock slips out. This will be additional counter weight when the back hoe is not in use.

Anyone modify their box blade in this fashion?

/ Weight box for box blade #2  
Angle of attack for the ripper teeth is important.... also make sure you have lowered the 3ph all the way.

That said, YES, I have extra weight on my box blade... about 400 lbs.... that combined with a hydraulic top link for angle adjustment at least doubles the usefulness/ability of the box blade.

/ Weight box for box blade #3  
i plan to add addtional weight to mine. but plan to add steel plate to the sides and back. Dont wont boxes, etc blocking the top preventing it from filling it up.

Figured i could get some heavy plate at the scrap yard. (like 1/2" or even better 1" cover-the-hole-in-the-road plates)

/ Weight box for box blade #4  
I mounted snow plow blades on top of my box blade for weight. The blades are 4 feet long, over an inch thick, and weigh 60 lbs each. Temporarily wired 3 of them on to see how they would work. The extra weight works great, so When time allows I am going to turn them around and bolt them on. Nice thing is I can add or remove weight as needed.

Last edited:
   / Weight box for box blade #5  
Look at that nice sandy soil, ahhhhhh.

In my rock infested world I've not seen the need for more weight yet, I use an aggresive angle and the teeth seem to bite in nice.

Good idea though that I'll keep in the back of mind.

Great idea on the plow blade cutting edge usage, I've got a worn out blade sitting in the yard.

Joel

/ Weight box for box blade #6  
I use my QA front bucket, by dropping off the bucket and installing a 3 point QA plate. Now I can install the box scraper on the front loader.
Front loader has down force and its easier to watch as your backing up.
But the big advantage is time. It takes minutes to drop bucket and install box scraper, especially if the backhoe is on the machine. Also if it's a bigger rock, than you can use the hoe if needed.
I found this method helpful when working away from home and changing implements takes time.
I really like the york rake on the front, because you can push down on the rake when needed, just like you would a hand rake.
On the back of the machine, when you go over uneven terrain, the implement follows. On the front you can go down with pressure to compensate, as the machine goes up and down.

It's fun to use the box scraper on the 3 PT, but when I need to grade something, I use the scraper, hoe and loader.
A quick change between the loader and scraper with the QA.

/ Weight box for box blade
Schmism;
I don't plan on blocking anything. I have a 2x2 weight box I made for my John Deere that when filled ( I have bar stock cut offs 15" to 22" ) is approx 460#. I want to attach it on the rear slanted verticle brace.... so it will be above the box section still providing center weight for the entire 6'. I have tip and tilt, but like others have found the teeth seem to ride over rocks rather than bring them to the top. ( the flat smaller ones ) I'm going to give it a try.. no expense just time.

/ Weight box for box blade
This is how it looks ready to use. Definately adds weight as I can feel the hydraulics load the rear tires. Remove one bolt and slide it out of the guide pins to remove. This is the weight box for the JD 4110. As soon as I can figure out what 46' of 1 1/2" x 3" bar stock weigh plus 62 # for the case I will know the total pounds added.

Attachments

• Box blade weight 001.jpg
    Box blade weight 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 702
  • Box blade weight 003.jpg
    Box blade weight 003.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 503
   / Weight box for box blade #9  
Look on the rear side of my BB and you will see two weights I added to mine. Not sure how much, but guessing they are about 60lbs each. I wish I had some more like them to add but that was all I came across. I think they are off a skidsteer??

PatsEasyChange014.jpg