Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it?

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #1  

tutorbell

Bronze Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota B2320 - Bar/Turf Tires
Okay, here's the deal. I ordered a set of gator blades for my Kubota B2320 with 60" deck. Instead of actually measuring, I assumed that the spindles were the same size as the ones on the BX - 7/8". I ordered the blades that fit the BX with the 29/32" hole size and it turns out that my spindles are 1 1/8".

Looking for your opinions on this...the blades seem to be identical with the exception of the hole size. Do you think it would be a big deal to drill out the 29/32" holes to 1 1/8"? Or should I take them to a machine shop and have them do it? I don't know how hard the steel is that these blades are made from, but I think that I would probably have a difficult time drilling the holes larger.

Opinions?

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #2  
How hard or is it possible to exchange for correct blades?
If I did not think I had equipment to drill the hole I needed I would either exchange the blades to take to a shop who can. The spindle hole area probably is not harden. But you really need to be sure you keep the hole centered if you drill it to enlarge it.

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it?
I ordered them over the web - after return shipping and shipping back to me, I could probably buy new ones. Just looking for an easy solution to make what I have work. Thanks!

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #4  
If you have the right drills do it, Centers are not that hard. After you enlarge holes check for balance of blades and make adjustments with grinder. You'll be fine.
DevilDog

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #5  
The blades on my BX are 1-1/8" also. I would exchange them since the Gator blades would be in use for a long time, it would be worth the extra shipping you'd pay over time.

BTW, jackssmallengines.com seems to have the cheapest price on Gators. nfi.

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #6  
I tried drilling in mower blades off from a cheapo mower once with a large bit with a press and it was a bear. I would never do it again.

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #7  
Enlarging the hole is a simple exercise, but for someone not set up to do it correctly, it can become a chore. The right drill bit, the right vise, the RIGHT SPEED and the right feed all make a difference. Put the durn thing in the proper setup and it will amaze you at just how easy it is.
Before drilling a new set, I would tend to want to find somebody that needed that set and offer them a good deal. You might loose a couple of dollars, but nothing like the cost of round trip shipping, or in the case you mess something up, a new set of blades. You can chalk a little loss up to your mistake, but I understand trying to minimize that loss.
David from jax

Anybody need a set of Gator blades?

Okay, I just ordered the correct blades and will be done with it. If anyone wants to buy three slightly used Gator Mulchers for a 60" BX deck, PM me.

Okay, I changed my mind again. Put the old Kubota blade hole over the hole in the Gator blade and centered it up. Scored a line, and used a die grinder with a stone bit to enlarge it. Took some time, but I got-er-done. Apparently I did a good enough job as the deck doesn't vibrate any more than with the original blades. :D

I would still recommend getting the right blades for your deck. Don't do like I did - check the actual diameter before you order! :confused:

My second order of the correct blades went through, so now I will have an extra set of Gator Mulchers. These are the Magnum version, with supposedly greater lift. I'll compare and see which ones work better for my grass.

/ Ordered gator blades - spindle hole too small! Can I enlarge it? #10  
Where did you order them from ? I just checked and a set for the JD was 91 dollars plus shipping ( for 3, 60" deck )