Cutting a PTO shaft

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #1  

Sideways

Silver Member
I am getting ready to put a PTO overrunning clutch on my Iseki TX1500F and believe the PTO shaft for my bush hog is going to be about 3.5 inches to long.
Can I cut the PTO shaft down or should I just buy a shorter PTO shaft?
Thanks

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #2  
How much shaft do you have now?
Just make sure that you have at least 10in. inside the shaft after you cut it at fully extended point

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #3  
If you need to cut the shaft, then just cut it. Don't know what you have to cut it with though. Some options are grinder and cut off wheel, torch, plasma. I have used a Stihl 760 cut off saw with metal cutting blade to cut a solid 2 in shaft in a couple of minutes. I also burned a hole in my pants from the sparks.

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #4  
Hacksaw,Sawzall ,cutoff saw , band saw etc.

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #5  
If you have the tools cut it, it's not that hard. Takes less than five minutes to cut both pieces on a band saw, or less than a minute on a dry cut saw. ;)

Hardest part seems to be getting the guards off in a way that they will go back on :eek:

Erik

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #6  
If you have the tools cut it, it's not that hard. Takes less than five minutes to cut both pieces on a band saw, or less than a minute on a dry cut saw. ;)

Hardest part seems to be getting the guards off in a way that they will go back on :eek:

Erik

I cut a piece of wood the length of the shaft and to the right thickness to make the shaft centered in the sleeve and cut it on my horiz. band saw cutting the sleeve ,wood,shaft all at once.

/ Cutting a PTO shaft
Thanks for the replies.
I only need to cut 3-4 inches off but won't know for sure until I get the clutch and take measurements.
I have a chop saw with a metal cutting blade that I can make a straight cut with.
I wasn't sure if there would be a safety issue with shortening it up or not.

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #8  
Also be sure to cut the same equal legnths from both shafts

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #9  
don't forget to cut the shields too!

/ Cutting a PTO shaft #10  
I cut a piece of wood the length of the shaft and to the right thickness to make the shaft centered in the sleeve and cut it on my horiz. band saw cutting the sleeve ,wood,shaft all at once.

That's an excellent idea, I'll have to try that. Lucky for me I already have a PTO shaft that need an inch or two taken off. :)