can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door?

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
So, I busted the glass door on my Kubota Grand L 5030 cab. It is a flat sheet of tempered glass (it busted into a thousand shards each the size of a pea) except that it has a uniform bend at one point of a few degrees. It's straight up and then bends inward a little toward the center of the cab.

Of course, it is not exactly square, but rather has numerous curves, etc. along with a couple of holes for attaching the hinges and door catch.

Am sure I can get a new one from the dealer... will find out how much on Monday.

Question is... can I get a flat sheet of tempered glass, cut it to fit and bend it to match the needed curve, bevel the edges, drill the holes, etc.??:confused:

I expect this is a task beyond the usual handyman...but I do see on Craig's list quite a few inexpensive sheets of tempered glass sized right for the task, given "cut and shape to fit."

Just thought I'd ask my TBN community... in case there is a simple trick, toolo or technique that somebody knows about that will make this an easy/doable task. My past experience with glass cutting has not been very successful, but that was a while ago.

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #2  
I have never had any luck cutting tempered galss. I have attempted it several times using a standard glass cutter and procedure but the glass has just shattered when I tried to snap it. I am certainly no expert though. Contact a local glass company and get their input, if there is a trick to it, they will know how to do it.

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #3  
Question is... can I get a flat sheet of tempered glass, cut it to fit and bend it to match the needed curve, bevel the edges, drill the holes, etc.??

I don't think you can do that. The glass is shaped, holes cut, etc. first and then tempered last.

The reason the original one broke into lots of pea-sized pieces is the tempering. Cut or bend one that is already tempered and you will get the same effect again.

If you want to cut, bend, drill yourself get a piece of polycarbonate.

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #4  
I had some new glass cut for a car i restored . They were cut from normal glass and THEN tempered . You cannot do this because you don't have a template .

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #5  
I cut tempered glass for a car one time. I did this using a sand blaster. Got some mastic from a headstone company and left a small line showing to blast. I then worked from side to side and cut the line in the glass. This is time extensive. I don't think that you could bend it. big dan

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #6  
You can cut it but many methods will shatter it --- you will never bend it. The glass is cut shaped and then tempered as others have said.

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #7  
Like the others have said, Tempered glass is cut, shaped, holes drilled then tempered, I was told this by my local glass company that is cutting the glass for my tractor.

Just take a large wad of cash to your bota dealer and smile :cool:

-Mike

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #8  
Bite the bullet and buy it for your tractor or order a thick sheet of plexiglass and try that. You can heat plexiglass and bend it if you are careful. Problem with that stuff it scratches easy.

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #9  
The only thing I,m aware of that will do what You want is Lexan plastic. its clear much like plexi glass but not near as brittle . It can be heated & shaped , drilled & cut as needed , where Plexi glass & tempered glass cant . Lexan also wont shatter either .

Tempered glass as well as safety glass can be made to fit size wise by Wet grinding , very messy & it takes quite a while to learn how to do it . I went through quite a few pieces of glass & windshields before i got it down .

If it was Me I,d just buy one from the dealer though . :D . Bob

/ can tempered glass be bent and cut to make a door? #10  
I know one of us here has broken a Kubota door glass within the past year or two. To be honest...... I was pleasantly surprised at the price to replace it. If my memory is correct, about two hundred dollars. I can't imagine you'd be saving much by spending hours on end trying to cut and bend glass of any kind. I'm curious to see what you dealer quotes you on the new door.