Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #1  

hallbax

I have a 48" Howse rotary mower that I pull with my MF2300. It works pretty good, except the front corners of the sides sometime dig into the ground. I came across two heavy duty rubber swivel wheels that I must have bought a few years ago for another project - and I got to thinking. Could I mount them under the deck in the two front corners to act as guage wheels? I did the geometry and I should have 9" of clear space before I get to interference with the blades. If I set it up right I would have these two guage wheels in the two front corners, and the large tail wheel in the back. Seems like it would not dig in any more.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? Anybody try anything like this? I guess I could get some chains to keep the front from dropping too far - is that the normal way of addressing this issue?

Thanks. Tim

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #2  
People have done stranger things for sure. :D

I think I'd put the wheels on the outside instead of the inside. JMO.

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog
Thanks for the link to the same discussion - I should have searched first.

I was thinking of putting the wheels on the inside for a couple of reasons: 1) they would not be sticking out where they could catch on anything, and 2) I would not have to do any fabrication, only drill a few holes in the mower deck to bolt the wheels on (they have about 4" square pads with a hole in each corner).

I will have to think about it - just trying to figure out the simplist and quickest solution, but one that will work, and one that is does not turn out to be stupid.

Thanks.

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog
Well, I took two non-swiveling wheels with solid rubber tires and bolted them under the deck up near the front corners. I used nylon lock nuts to try to prevent the nuts from vibrating loose. The installed wheels are about 1 inch taller than the deck sides, so the front of the deck sits up about an inch off the ground. It took me and my 12 year old son about 30 minutes to do the job (including looking in the barn for the second matching wheel).

I took the mower deck out and ran around the orchard for about 20 minutes mowing some tall grass, and it works great. The deck is about level, and the front corners don't dig in. This is one of the rare times when I could reuse some parts I had lying around and come up with something that worked. One other added benefit is that the after I take the deck off the tractor, it is a lot easier to move around.

Tim

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #6  
I was thinking about this myself, and I'd love to see pictures of your solution..

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #7  
Just check them periodically. I imagine they will get tangled up with the stuff Bush Hogs seem to find.

Chris

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #8  
No doubt the wheels would have some advantage but after I hook up my rough cut go to drive way and set it where I want it and then set stop for the lift lever. Works good for me.

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #9  
I was thinking about this myself, and I'd love to see pictures of your solution..

I have had this on my list of improvements to accomplish before next bush-hog season.

I hadn't considered the added advantage of being able to push it around like a shopping cart; mine already has two crazy-wheels in back, instead of the usual one in the center.

As kthompson stated, it would also be advantageous if one would take the time to park on a level place and zero things in prior to heading to the field.:)

/ Guage Wheels on a Bush Hog #10  
I have a 48" Howse rotary mower that I pull with my MF2300. It works pretty good, except the front corners of the sides sometime dig into the ground. I came across two heavy duty rubber swivel wheels that I must have bought a few years ago for another project - and I got to thinking. Could I mount them under the deck in the two front corners to act as guage wheels? I did the geometry and I should have 9" of clear space before I get to interference with the blades. If I set it up right I would have these two gauge wheels in the two front corners, and the large tail wheel in the back. Seems like it would not dig in any more.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? Anybody try anything like this? I guess I could get some chains to keep the front from dropping too far - is that the normal way of addressing this issue?

Thanks. Tim

I know the kind of bush hogging I do caster wheels would get ripped off after about an hour or so but that is just me..you might want to check all of your adjustments...top link, lift arms and bush hog rear wheel adj. before going to caster wheels. There are old style pull behind bush hogs with wheels and they are more like trailer tires than casters - even finishing mowers have wheels stouter than casters..Just my opinion.