remote starter switch

/ remote starter switch #1  

sjsperdute

I have a John Deere 1070, compact tractor with a loader and backhoe. i am getting lazier in my age and was wondering if it was possible to put a remote (second) switch to start and turn off the engine from the rear of the tractor. i'm pretty good with wiring, and could proably figure it out. just wanted to know if there was an easy way.

/ remote starter switch #2  
You could put a remote start on it by just putting another switch / key mechanisim on the back but you would have to somehow disable the clutch switch as well the safety police would be after you on that one.

/ remote starter switch #3  
I'm sure you could just run a toggle switch and use it to ground the electrical system. One wire leading to the switch and one to ground.

/ remote starter switch #4  
On behalf of the safety police, I would say this is not a clever idea unless the switch is on a cable that makes you stand at least 5 metres from the tractor before you can start it.:eek:

You may be getting older and lazier but I am sure there are people close to you that would like you to get older and still be able to enjoy life without the aid of a wheelchair.

Weedpharma

/ remote starter switch
On behalf of the safety police, I would say this is not a clever idea unless the switch is on a cable that makes you stand at least 5 metres from the tractor before you can start it.:eek:

You may be getting older and lazier but I am sure there are people close to you that would like you to get older and still be able to enjoy life without the aid of a wheelchair.

Weedpharma

not sure what this is supposed to mean. i don't see why i can't start the tractor from the backhoe seat. i don't have to press the clutch to start the tractor. don't need to engage pto. there are no other safety issues that i can see.

/ remote starter switch #6  
There is always some unforseen chain of events that could happen starting remotely. I would be hesitant about doing that as well. If you read some of the accidents on the Safety forum on this site those folks thought they were acting in a safe manner most of the time as well.

/ remote starter switch #7  
the only stock (start) safety switches on my tractor are for gear selector and PTO engagement.

after that there is no difference between starting sitting in the seat and starting while standing anywhere else around the tractor.

i say go for it. simply tap the start wires off the key switch and put a small remote button on the rear.

/ remote starter switch #8  
Go all the way and install a remote starter on a key fob! Just don't leave it in gear pelase.
Peter

/ remote starter switch #9  
I was going to install a keyfob remote on my JD4300HST but never got around to it. I wanted to be able to start and let it warm up before I put my coat on. (it sits right outside the kitchen window). can't see any problem with starting it from the backhoe seat, although you might have to start and stop it from the same place each time, or else use a relay to break the circuit to the fuel solenoid....

/ remote starter switch #10  
It's never a good idea to start any vehicle or equipment from anywhere that you don't have full control over it. If you can start it from the rear seat, sooner or later you will start it in gear and away you go.