Spreader conversion to electric

/ Spreader conversion to electric #1  

forester2

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3030 Ford 2120
I have a ground driven Agrifab spreader I'd like to convert to electric drive for an ATV. I can figure out how to do it I'm just unfamilar with what 12v motor to get. Not sure of RPM, HP or source. Don't want to spend a fortune doing it either. Any ideas?

/ Spreader conversion to electric #2  
I'd start by contacting the folks at Moultrie Feeders. They're the folks that sell feeders, spreaders, and game cameras. I have one of their spreaders for an ATV (Polaris Ranger) that is several years old. I'm on the second motor. I believe I paid about $30 for the replacement. I let the first sit over the winter after spreading fertilizer. There isn't a motor data plate on the motor, so I can't help you with the HP. Might be on their website.

/ Spreader conversion to electric
Already did that. Was hoping data was on motor. Did the same with other spreaders who I know use small el. motors.

/ Spreader conversion to electric #4  
I have a ground driven Agrifab spreader I'd like to convert to electric drive for an ATV. I can figure out how to do it I'm just unfamilar with what 12v motor to get. Not sure of RPM, HP or source. Don't want to spend a fortune doing it either. Any ideas?

use your math skills

i assume that there is some instruction book that related size of material hole to ground speed for lbs/area no?

if so time to bust out your calculator.

were are you mounting your motor, on the input shaft before the bevel gears or direct drive to the flinnger spinny thingie.

ground speed (miles per hr) in to ft/sec
circumference of tire spreader in ft

divid those to for rpm of axle shaft

mulitply by bevel gear ratio for spinner tosser rpm

match new motor rpm to whatever rpm you find works to yeild the right amount/area you need for a given ground speed.

Good points except a speader is not like a sprayer in that regard. The chute opening lets the material fall out on the impeller (which is ground driven) which then slings it. Other than turning an agitator the motor does not really feed the material being applied. I'm rally more concerned about motor size and where to get one inexpensively

/ Spreader conversion to electric #6  
Did you ever get this figured out, I am looking at doing the same thing.

/ Spreader conversion to electric #7  
A suggestion for you.

Check out those imported ATV winches, about $50.00 or so.
Lots of torque low rpm's; should do the trick.

Remouve the cable and adapt a suitable pully to drive your spreader.

Lots of folks adapt them to drive their snowblower shutes.

/ Spreader conversion to electric #8  
Hi Forester,
I gotta tell you, the electric conversion doesn't sound that good to me. I have an electric powered spreader for my lawn tractor that I used *one* time. Horrible. Unless things are desert dry and dusty, nothing goes through it well. I bought it with the intent of sanding the driveway. Not worth a dime. My neighbor got an electric Moultrie spreader for his 2" receiver hitch... it never did what it was supposed to do either unless he bought bagged (dry) sand. He ended up burning out the motor halfway through the season. The smaller barrel made a real nice counterweight for my Kubota after I filled it with concrete! :laughing:
You might want to keep the old drive, just in case the mod doesn't work out too well.

/ Spreader conversion to electric #9  
The geared output shaft of a windshield wiper motor might turn about the same speed as the wheel axle input shaft on the spreader. Or close to it.

Man, thats an old post. Ended up plowing then running my tiller across plowed field instead of discing. Ground drive on the Agrifab worded fine. Not worth spending the $ for the amount of acreage I'm doing.