Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I am thinking about putting a "soft" edge on my FEL to eliminate damage to the sealcoat on my driveway this winter. Last year was rough. I will be doing the same on my rear blade. The problem is that the rear blade has bolt holes, while the FEL does not. What is the best way to attach a wear edge to the FEL without swiss cheesing the wear bar and compromising it's strength? I have a HD steel wera edge from WR Long, but I hate to drill that out. Maybe four (4) or six (6) plow bolts (1/2") through the factory FEL cutting edge won't be a big deal after all. Besides, for most of the FEL digging, I'd be using the H&H tootbar or the WR Long wear edge, which protects the factory edge anyway. Thoughts?

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #2  
just curious why lay down pads to lower the blade and bucket onto won't suffice?...it seem like a lot of trouble to bolt something on that will only have to be removedin the spring? sorry if I'm missing something...

[edit]...OK being from the south I was not considering the fact that you were referring to regular snow removal from the driveway...I get it now...

Last edited:
   / Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #3  
Is your Long wear edge bolted? If so just unbolt and install the urethane with some new steel to hold it in place using the existing holes in your bucket.

If its welded, just drill out several holes to mount the rubber. You wont be compromising the strength of the edge. Just be forewarned that youre going to need some good drillbits! Maybe check out some quality solid cobalts (like Dormer brand).

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #4  
I am thinking about putting a "soft" edge on my FEL to eliminate damage to the sealcoat on my driveway this winter. Last year was rough. I will be doing the same on my rear blade. The problem is that the rear blade has bolt holes, while the FEL does not. What is the best way to attach a wear edge to the FEL without swiss cheesing the wear bar and compromising it's strength? I have a HD steel wera edge from WR Long, but I hate to drill that out. Maybe four (4) or six (6) plow bolts (1/2") through the factory FEL cutting edge won't be a big deal after all. Besides, for most of the FEL digging, I'd be using the H&H tootbar or the WR Long wear edge, which protects the factory edge anyway. Thoughts?
Alternative - Bolt some small wheels to the outside edge of your bucket.
Or --2nd choice - buy rubber tubing, slit it and use flexible epoxy to adhere it around the edge of your bucket. Dont back drag!
larry

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #5  
Is your Long wear edge bolted? If so just unbolt and install the urethane with some new steel to hold it in place using the existing holes in your bucket.

If its welded, just drill out several holes to mount the rubber. You wont be compromising the strength of the edge. Just be forewarned that youre going to need some good drillbits! Maybe check out some quality solid cobalts (like Dormer brand).

just drill right behind the edge and it will be a lot easier.

tom

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket
I ordered 6" wide rubber today. The rear blade I can bold on as if it were the steel cutting edge. I ordered the same for the FEL bucket, and think that I will try to bolt it through the midpoint of the rubber (3" line). Hopefully, the width of the FEL factory wear edge is less than 3", then I can just flip the rubber without redrilling holes when one edge becomes worn. If the wear edge is wider than 3', I'll try to drill it then. It doesn't seem that hard, but we may just see. Thanks for all replies.

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #7  
It's Nelson at W. R. Long. I'm trying to gather some photos of our Wear Blades. Do you have any pictures you could send?

If so thanks,

Nelson
nlong@wrlonginc.com

/ Rubber or Polyurethane Cutting Edge on FEL Bucket #8  
I ordered 6" wide rubber today. The rear blade I can bold on as if it were the steel cutting edge. I ordered the same for the FEL bucket, and think that I will try to bolt it through the midpoint of the rubber (3" line). Hopefully, the width of the FEL factory wear edge is less than 3", then I can just flip the rubber without redrilling holes when one edge becomes worn. If the wear edge is wider than 3', I'll try to drill it then. It doesn't seem that hard, but we may just see. Thanks for all replies.

RobertM I am curious where you found the 6" rubber?