Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor?

/ Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor? #1  

kvancott

Tractor
Still Looking
I've been looking at a Ford 4400 industrial tractor - used, good hours and good condition. Has front end loader and backhoe installed - good hydraulics. About 80% of the work I need to do will be with rear PTO and 3pt hitch attachments. But I could use a backhoe, so I am considering it.

Went out to see it yesterday and I didn't see a rear PTO shaft. There was a plate bolted on to the housing where one should be. But with the hoe on there was no way to see what was under it. Also, we had some questions about how a 3pt would be attached.

The original Ford spec sheet I downloaded said a 3pt was optional equipment. I had assumed a rear PTO shaft would be standard.

Anyone have any knowledge of this model - if there is a rear PTO shaft under that plate and how one could put a 3pt hitch on it? I had a construction equipment friend with me (>15 yrs in the business, John Deere), and he wasn't sure about it. So it is not likely a trivial solution. My primary uses for the rear PTO will be for tilling, mowing.

The engine and hydraulics were very good condition. So if anyone has any good suggestions they will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor? #2  
If the 4400 wasn't fitted with a PTO and 3PT hitch at the factory, addding either or both will be a large, expensive project. If you need a tractor with these features, find one that has them.

/ Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor?
Thanks, I did some more digging and found out that several versions of the 4400 were sold - some without 3pt and pto. So that is what I was looking at.

/ Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor? #4  
I have a 4500 that doesn't have a pto either. From my understanding that Ford used the same rear axle housing on all 4000 series tractors. I've never seen a 4000 series that had the shuttle shift trans with a pto. The shuttle shift trans uses a torque converter instead of a clutch to transfer power from the engine to the trans. So I don't think you can do it. You could add a hydrualic pto drive motor and run it off the hydraulics that run your backhoe. You should have the 3 point lower arm mounting lugs on the rearend housing.
Vince

/ Rear PTO on Ford 4400 industrial tractor? #5  
One of my brothers has the 4400. I used it to ted hay this summer. It does have the pto and 3ph on it. Also an afermarket turbo. Pretty stout little tractor. Can't say for sure but your solution could be as simple as parts from a 4000.