Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw?

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
I picked up the Harbor Freight Metal Cutting Circ Saw #8897 and it does a great job. I hope they come out with a 14 Chop saw style with this blade and RPM. I cut some 1/4" mild steel plate at a rate of 6" in about 40 seconds and even tried some 3/4" and at a rate of 6" in about 120 seconds. I bought the warranty as I am getting ready to start the fab of a grapple and I will put it to an endurance test on that project alone.

Attachments

• HPIM1809a.jpg
    HPIM1809a.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 781
   / Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #2  
I may sound like the safety police but maybe wear a decent dust mask cutting up all of that metal. Nothing like sneezing out metal flakes later in life.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw?
This saw uses a blade that looks like a carbide tipped blade but is made specifically for metal. Its metal particles are shaved of and are about as long as the plate is thick or a little smaller and they aren't airborne so no dust to worry about but thanks for mentioning it.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #4  
Randall, you are a busy bee. I liked the fel sub soiler, are you making a grapple for your bucket or a whole new attachment?

I am going to try my hand at making a grapple using rippers like the ones used on a box blade. I am starting with a plate like the E-bay model that I showed you in the ripper post. I am having trouble finding suitable material to use for pin bushings. I tend to do a lot more welding in the cooler weather.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #6  
I am going to try my hand at making a grapple using rippers like the ones used on a box blade. I am starting with a plate like the E-bay model that I showed you in the ripper post. I am having trouble finding suitable material to use for pin bushings. I tend to do a lot more welding in the cooler weather.
funny you say that you are rippers out of a box blade, i thought of using that on a "bucket grapple" for my bucket. i will watch and see how yours comes out. I don't know where to find pin bushing. looking at the grapples on ebay (the ones for $350) it looks like they just bolt together. i don't guess they will last as long. I thought of using solid 1/2" rod and threading each end, slip that into a 1/2" tube, with the threads sticking out on ether end use a large fender washer and locking nut to hold in place. on the out side of the tube drill and tap for a grease fitting. Don't know if that would work but thats what i was going to try.
good luck and keep me posted
brian

funny you say that you are rippers out of a box blade, i thought of using that on a "bucket grapple" for my bucket. i will watch and see how yours comes out. I don't know where to find pin bushing. looking at the grapples on ebay (the ones for $350) it looks like they just bolt together. i don't guess they will last as long. I thought of using solid 1/2" rod and threading each end, slip that into a 1/2" tube, with the threads sticking out on ether end use a large fender washer and locking nut to hold in place. on the out side of the tube drill and tap for a grease fitting. Don't know if that would work but thats what i was going to try.
good luck and keep me posted
brian

You could try it, I have had many tries and some successes. I have just about decided to use schedule 80 black pipe for pin bushings. I was looking for a place to get hardened ones to last longer.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #8  
I bought the warranty as I am getting ready to start the fab of a grapple and I will put it to an endurance test on that project alone.

That's a good idea, I bought a cheap air compressor from them that I plan to work the **** out of, and, at the end of 3 years I get a new one if it has the slightest problem. I've already taken it back once and they gave me a new one with no trouble.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #9  
I had some pins and bushings made @ a local machine shop for the grapple i am making I think he charged 60ish which would have taken me more than hour to do. I'll get a photo if ya want. fyi grapple would a great reason to buy a plasma cutter. lol have fun welding as i have several hrs in mine already and probbly 8 more to finish it.

/ Have you tried the HF metal cutting Circ Saw? #10  
I had some pins and bushings made @ a local machine shop for the grapple i am making I think he charged 60ish which would have taken me more than hour to do. I'll get a photo if ya want. fyi grapple would a great reason to buy a plasma cutter. lol have fun welding as i have several hrs in mine already and probbly 8 more to finish it.
if you don't mind on the photo of the bushing that would be great
thanks
brian