Rhino lining for battery area?

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #1  

dcyrilc

Tractor
John Deere 2240 MFWD
The battery area in the used tractor I bought is nearly rusted through. I'm going to have a shop I know refabricate the bottom for it since John Deere wants $1210.00 for a new one. I'm considering having the bottom where the batteries sit Rhino lined after the refab is complete.

Anyone have any pros/cons about this idea?

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #2  
Make sure there's a drain hole after it's shot.

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #3  
That will work or you could simply buy a $10 marine batter box.

Chris

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #5  
That might work as long as they will fit within the tight space requirements of the compartment.

I have a JD 790 and their crap battery leaked/boiled and did the same thing to mine @ 120 hours. I caught it before it got too bad. I scrubbed my battery area and soaked it with a mix of oil and diesel fuel and then put an Optima battery in it. No more leaks, period. The battery box is also a great idea but not sure it will fit.
The Rhino will likely just trap moisture and acid underneath and make the problem worse.
Most guys I know with a 790 or similar tractor have had this problem. Deere should be ashamed of itself for a crap battery that leaks and boils over. But that's just my opinion.

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #6  
A properly serviced lead acid battery should not boil over. Usually the incorrect Electrolyte for the battery type is used when the battery is new or too much Electrolyte is initially put in. When putting a new battery in service make sure that the Electrolyte has the Specific Gravity that the battery was designed for. Commonly available premixed automotive Electrolyte has a specific gravity of 1.265 but many lead acid batteries of today use an Electrolyte of 1.280 or 1.285. Prior to being used it should be properly charged and not just put into the tractor. Try to only use distilled water to service the battery during your maintenance checks.

After the battery has boiled over and the damaged area has been properly neutralized there are many types of Acid Proof Battery Box Paints available. An affordable, easily applied, and readily available product of the type that I've used for over 50+ years in the Aviation Industry is Randolph Acid Proof Battery Box Paint. It takes a while to harden but it works. See:
Randolph Acid Proof Battery Box Black Paint #345

Good luck,
Jim

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #7  
I know the info from the above post but the battery JD used in those tractors was crap. I have talked with many owners and read many posts and I cannot recall one tht did not have a problem with excess battery corrosion spiling over the the compartment.
There are no coincidences, especially of that magnitude and the problem was likely an unintended consequence of a cheaply made battery. No, I'm not bitter.

/ Rhino lining for battery area? #8  
I have used the spray can bed liner on several battery boxes and areas around the box. It has worked well.

/ Rhino lining for battery area?
Here are pix of what's left of the dash/battery box/firewall assembly.

I'll be dropping it off at a shop tomorrow to see about having the bottom rebuilt.

Attachments

• Nov17_0001.jpg
    Nov17_0001.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 674
  • Nov17_0002.jpg
    Nov17_0002.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Nov17_0003.jpg
    Nov17_0003.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Nov17_0004.jpg
    Nov17_0004.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Nov17_0005.jpg
    Nov17_0005.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 456
   / Rhino lining for battery area?
I got the rebuilt cowl back yesterday. The shop did an excellent job. I'll have a little work to do before I'm ready to reinstall it. I want to sandblast it (need to buy a glass bead machine for this) and repaint it, then get the bottom Rhino lined.

The shop missed a small detail where the steering housing sets into the front of the cowl and I'll have to do a little grinding for fit. I'll post pix this weekend as I go along.