A Canopy Question

/ A Canopy Question #1  

Sockwell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HSTC,CC/Y EX3200, 1950 8N
I have a question about tractor canopies. I was about to try to fabricate one for my CCY EX3200. I've looked at various posts, as well as the pictures shown on various canopy manufacturer's websites. With this info, I started sketching when I ran across something that triggered a question.

When I measured the ROPS and the operating area, it measured that the top of the ROPS was about 62" above the operator's platform. I got on the tractor and saw that the measurements were correct. In the sketches, I had the bottom of the canopy about 6" over the top of the ROPS. At 6' tall, if the canopy was installed as planned, my head would hit the underside of the canopy if I were to stand up.

Would some of you guys with canopies tell me about how much the mounting brackets raise the canopy over the ROPS? BTW, I don't stand up to operate the tractor, but there may be situations where you need to stand, if nothing else when getting on and off. What am I missing here?

/ A Canopy Question #2  
I have never seen a canopy that would not hit your head if you stand up. It is the same thing with a cab. You cannot stand up in them. Most canopies are just a couple inches taller then the ROPs. Some not even that much. Getting into a cab tractor is somewhat like getting into a car. You sort of have to duck and pull yourself up at the same time. It is the same thing with a canopy. You adventually get use to it. Usually after you hit your head a few times.

/ A Canopy Question #3  
If you try to install a canopy high enough to allow you to stand up straight without hitting your head, it seems to me you would (1) have it so high you would not have adequate clearance under trees barn or garage doors, etc. and (2) have it so high that it wouldn't provide much shade unless the sun was directly overhead or the length and width of the canopy were enormous. Kind of like getting in and out of a car or pickup, I had no problem with hitting my head on the canopy, but certainly couldn't stand up straight under it.

/ A Canopy Question #4  
I have a Mahindra 3215HST, about the same size as your EX3200. I just went out and measured what the distance is from the floorboard to the canopy on my tractor, it is 62". I have no problems getting on or off my tractor, I have never hit my head. I am 5' 11" and 200lbs, plenty of room. ;)

/ A Canopy Question
Thanks for the feedback. This felt like a dumb question before I posted it. I knew guys had switches, cell phone holders and other items mounted on the under side of their canopies and that surely they could reach them from the seat (without un-belting). Like a dummy, it had just never occurred to me that you couldn't stand up. I guess you shouldn't expect to.

I especially thank you for taking the time to go measure the height of your canopy. You saved me a 30 mile trip to the dealer tomorrow to measure one on the lot.

/ A Canopy Question #6  
I'm going to have to measure mine now just to satisfy my curiosity. I've never hit my head or even thought that it might be low. Of course, my operators station is tight enough when getting on or off that I'm always watching my feet so I don't catch a foot and trip.

/ A Canopy Question #7  
Ha, I myself am curious now as to what my clearance is... I'm 6' 2" and don't recall ever hitting my head on the ROPS/canopy, but I also don't recall the urge to jump straight up while driving my tractor ... maybe I'm just used to ducking under low clearance objects.