I'm goin' Deaf!

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #1  

exeter_acres

Bronze Member
Tractor
Craftsman Garden Tractor (Hey! it's a start!)
I\'m goin\' Deaf!

Hello all... Thanks for all the great info in the past.
Have a question. I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor with the 20 hp Kohler. After reading many posts here and elsewhere I knew that I may love it, or I may hate it.... So far I love it. and we use the heck out of the thing!!

One issue/ annoyance.. compared to my neighbors Honda, (and just about anything else with an internal combustion motor /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif) the beast is loud.
Has anyone here every tried any sort of exhaust mods to quiet it down or heard of any aftermarket silencers?

Any input would be great!!

Curtis

/ I'm goin' Deaf!
Re: I\'m goin\' Deaf!

Oh and yes I did know it would be noisy when I bought it. I can deal with it but if there is a way to fix it....

Great

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #4  

Might want to check out this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=safety&Number=132514&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>thread</A>.

/ I'm goin' Deaf!

I already use those! Have for years with many things I do. I used to play drums when I was young and stupid...... Now I am old and.... well, you know...

Thanks
Curtis

/ I'm goin' Deaf!

I suppose I should be more specific.. When I use earplugs it doesn't really bother me...

Just looking for something for the tractor. I mentioned my neighbors whisper quiet Honda.. I have to keep up with the Jones's you know

Curtis

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #7  

I don't know how load your Craftsman is, but it can't be as load as my Ingersolls. With these, the nabors need to have ear plugs.

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #8  

I have a Craftsman with the 15hp Kohler and my neighbor recently got one with the 20hp. The first time he was using it I thought it had a hole in the muffler. It does seem to be disproportionately louder for some reason.

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #9  

Examine the actual exit pipe. Make sure it does not blast right on something like the frame or even a small obstruction like a steering arm or linkage. If it is directed at something within a foot, it will be twice as loud to you and the neighbors. If this is true, locate a 90 degree long-radius tube that fits it, clamp it on. Directing it downward is also a great idea. The ground is usally covered with grass, a natural acoustic absorber.

/ I'm goin' Deaf! #10  

were u a Keith Moon or Ringo Starr?