Right side step added to jd3720

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
All summer I found myself jumping on and off the tractor a lot doing farm cleanup stuff, and quite often I would hop back on at the right side of the tractor. That's a big step up after a few hours of this activity. I looked under the platform and found that the same features exist on the right side to mount the same step the factory mounts on the left side. There's plenty of room to get on over on the right side, if the steering wheel is tilted up. So, when buying hydrualic oil last week I decided I'd ask the price of the parts to add the step to the right side. I was expecting to hear at least fifty for the step, and about fifteen per bracket (two required). To my surprise, the step was $19.50, and they had it in stock so I bought it. The brackets however, were $31.25 each. They are simply 11 gauge flat metal with one bend and four holes. So I laid them out in CAD and burned them on the plasma table, bent them, primed and painted. Two hours labor and I had a new step on the right side. Man, that seems nice now.
J.D. part numbers for anyone interested: Step = R152999 and bracket = LVU14523

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #2  
Hi: Thanks for posting. I would really like to see some pictures of the finished product.
Thanks, Marshall

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #3  
Sounds like that could be a hot item......if you need to make an extra set for "practice", I'd take em'

Seriously though, thanks for posting and we do look forward to pictures.

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #4  
Count me in also, my 3320 would love a right side step. :D

Glenn

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #5  
Well heck, I hadn't thought of using a right side step as a "step". My JD-3520-Cab doesn't really leave enough room to squeeze in,.. (I don't believe?).....but I had seriously considered the right side step as a mounting bracket base for a big tool box. I have a big old steel ammo box that would fit,... and still allow the door to open.

Pretty serious money for those brackets,....so I guess I'll design and make the brackets as such to "hold" the tool box,...and forget the step. Thanks for the post,.. and the idea!!

CHEERS!
. . tug

Last edited:
   / Right side step added to jd3720
pics of finished project attached... You may notice i had to grind a little notch out of the back edge of the front bracket as it came very close to the loader hydraulic lines.

Attachments

• PA310148.JPG
    PA310148.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 466
  • PB020149.JPG
    PB020149.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 425
   / Right side step added to jd3720 #7  
Would you be willing to post the DXF file of your brackets? I'd like to burn a pair for my 3320.
Great job?

Sure. I will get it to you early next week.

OK, I figured out how to attach it in zip format. In the DXF file I put one dimension on the 2D info, where the 90 degree bend centerline is to be. You may wish to print the DXF as it is, for reference later, then delete the dimension before sending it to the cutter software. Note: there is no cutter (kerf) compensation added yet.

/ Right side step added to jd3720 #10  
The step came out perfect,
I found I rarely get on and off that side, so when looking for a spot (in that crowded CUT real estate) to mount an ammo/tool box, I just put it right there on the outward edge of the floor board.

Now I definitely wont be getting on or off that side, unless I run over a ground Bee's nest and have to do a gymnastic dismount out that open platform :)